Tyre and Wheel size choice

littlewimp

I Have been thinking that I will try and get my car back on the road for a few months, I have thought about selling it. I need to get a new set of tyres but not sure to just replace the 17 inch yokohama tyres that are showing signs of cracking , or take the opportunity and look for a decent set of 16 inch wheels and tyres which I believe is the preferred size with most owners ?

Last edited:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I can tell you what I've got if it's any help; I don't know how it compares with "ideal" tyres/wheel combinations, but it seems to work for me.

Currently Fox R2 rims (not really to my taste, but the old rims got stolen and the OZs haven't gone on yet) with Falken V12 EVO tyres in 205/45/16. - I think I've got two different versions of the same tyre, with the older ones on the rear axle.

I had some Eagle F1s before, but thought the compound was too soft because they didn't last.
I had some Yokohama Pradas and liked the sidewall strength.

littlewimp

Thanks Pobody Ive just had a quick look for tyres and theres not much price difference between 16's and 17 inch, the toyo proxy are coming up for good money. I do like the Yokohama's so will keep searching! I plan on taking it for test one evening next week but handbrake needs sorting first, has anyone had good experiences with pattern cables,? although I do have a good spare somewere but I'm quessing there handed and knowing my luck it will probably be the wrong side.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The last time I thought I had a faulty handbrake cable it was actually a frozen calliper. - Worth double checking before you buy a new cable and find you don't need it.

littlewimp

Thanks, I was going to give it a check over before the MOT , just need to free my ramp up, have had my Porsche stuck on there for 12 months, that was only on there for slight play in front wheel bearing now its in 100 pieces !