Twin intercooler's?

A

allywrx

Hi guys

Just a quick query for you GTI-R chaps. Whilst at Crail last Sunday I was speaking to a bloke (Lee) who had a twin intercooler setup.
He had a front mount with the pipework running up to the standard topmount ic. Before anyone asks it was definately NOT a top mounted oil cooler or an alloy rad :roll:

I found it a bit odd to be honest and was wondering if anybody could shed some light on it or post up some links. The sxoc guy's don't seem to believe me :wink: (hello if your watching :D )

Cheers fellas :)

O

Odin

I'll think your find that the top mount you are talking about was an air box fella, As I'v seen this done before, That way you still get to make use of the bonnet vent.

I'v been thinking of trying it myself if I could get someone to make it for me :wink: .

rob

A

allywrx

Nope, It was defo two intercooler's, the guy even told me the same.
The pipework ran from the front mount up to the top mount (looked like custom hardpipes using blue samco hose, saw it with my own eyes). He said AVA had worked on his car before.
He had an HKS mushroom filter.

O

Odin

Oh well then fella I have no idear why anybody would wont this set up :? , One intercooler gives lag and two can only be even worse :? .

I'd also be interested in other people's thoughts :wink: .

Shame you didn't get any pics

rob

faz

yeah 1st thing I thought of with a set-up like this would be......

laaaaaaaaggggggg! :?

A

allywrx

vpulsar said:
Oh well then fella I have no idear why anybody would wont this set up :? , One intercooler gives lag and two can only be even worse :? .

I'd also be interested in other people's thoughts :wink: .

Shame you didn't get any pics

rob
My thoughts exactly, I didn't see any benefits in it at all TBH.
I will try and get in contact with the guy (friend of a friend :roll: ) and get him to send me some pics. It was just the fact I have never seen this setup before that caused me to ask the question.

ashills

think it was the renault 21 turo that ran a pair of intercoolers as standard i dout it would that much lag as long as it keeps the run direct as possile and u enefit from the scoop
doubt itwould be as good big hyrid style front mount with a direct pipe run

A

allywrx

Just spoke to my friend who knows the guy (Lee) through snowboarding. He asked the question for me and was told that AVA in Glasgow built the setup for him using custom pipework. Mabey they could shed some light on it?

He will try and get me some pics on Saturday.

T

Tug

Whats the point of that setup? Waste of money i think. Wont the advantages of the front mount be offset by the fact that the top mount will still warm the air charge up because of heat soak?

A

allywrx

Tug said:
Whats the point of that setup? Waste of money i think. Wont the advantages of the front mount be offset by the fact that the top mount will still warm the air charge up because of heat soak?
That's what I thought and why I stuck a post up in here. Seems a bit bizarre to me :roll:

ki_saj_ng

allywrx said:
Hi guys

Whilst at Crail last Sunday I was speaking to a bloke (Lee) who had a twin intercooler setup.
if u spoke to him, why didnt u ask him or didnt he know why he had two :D

O

Odin

I suppose it's a bit like that orange pulsar from japanese performance, When I asked them why they fitted two dump valves he just said "because we can". :roll: What a w@nker lol.

rob

JIMMYBACK

vpulsar said:
I suppose it's a bit like that orange pulsar from japanese performance, When I asked them why they fitted two dump valves he just said "because we can". :roll: What a w@nker lol.

rob
it was a yellow one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
JIMMYBACK said:
vpulsar said:

rob
it was a yellow one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
leave him alone :evil: :evil:

the poor guy thinks his own R is grey :lol:

A

allywrx

faz said:
AVA isnt actually in Glasgow....its in Paisley...on the outskirts :p
Oh yeah thats right, it's behind Paisley Airport, sorry :p

ki_saj_ng said:
if u spoke to him, why didnt u ask him or didnt he know why he had two
Yeah I spoke to him and he told me it was to aid cool the charge temps down (obviousley :roll: ). That was as far as the technical discussion went I'm afraid.