Turbo failure

O

odie

Guys, after an all too regular visit to the mechanic, I was informed that my turbo has an unusual amount of shaft play and should be replaced. At the moment, my car is stock apart from the 3" exhaust and FMIC. I want to install a Walbro 255 pump and 550cc injectors as well as a GT2871R (I can hear the GT3071R comments now, but I just don't want to go down that path).
What I would like to know, as I cannot find a definate answer after searching, is that if I install these 3 things, would I NEED to get an aftermarket ECU or chip if I run off the standard boost? My biggest issue is that the nearest 4wd dyno is 200kms away and I have lots of other things to do to the car before I travel all that way to get a tune.
Would I have too much trouble running stock boost, or do you think that It's more likely to run too lean even with the bigger injectors and pump?

Thanks.

Owen.

stuarty

Shouldnt be a problem get a fuel press reg and a boost controller with a afr and turn it up to 1 bar, will make the car alot quicker and you dont need remap......

Dooie Pop Pop

stuarty said:
Shouldnt be a problem get a fuel press reg and a boost controller with a afr and turn it up to 1 bar, will make the car alot quicker and you dont need remap......
why does he need a fuel pressure regulator?

Dooie Pop Pop

stuarty said:
:? Dunno that was what was advised to put on mine to run 1 bar :oops:

s' ok mate someone once tried to tell me i needed a 3k rebuild for 1.2b:der:

edited: totally missed the bit with the 550' s:doh:

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

if you install 550 injectors then the car will need setting up properly!
it will run like a bucket of pooh and be very rich.
you either will need some sort of a/f controller to sort that out or get the standard ecu mapped! you may even need an uprated afm to cope with the extra fuelling.
personally i would just stick the walbro in and get the other bits fitted at the time the car is setup!

MarkTurbo

stuarty said:
AWD in perth.....
I dont know :lol: I was just making the point that if you've chosen the right size injectors in the first place you dont need to raise the fuel pressure ;-)

azboy

u also need a ajustable fuel pressure reg when running high boost ect 1.7+ bar ur fuel will then only be injecting at 1.3 bar if running 3 bar fuel pres (standard) under loadaswill effect the efficency of the injector, ie if u run 2.5 bar boost ull only be running 0.5 bar higher fuel pressure then the pressure in the inlet manifold which is not good for a efficent injector spray, the smallest injector u can get away with running is better even if u have to up the fuel pressure rather then leave the standard fuel press and fit bigger injectors

MarkTurbo

You dont need an adjustable regulator to run high boost :doh:

The fuel pressure regulator raises the fuel pressure in relation to boost level, so if you you were running 1 bar boost your fuel pressure would rise to 4 bar when you hit that boost level ;-)

stumo

what Mark just said.

the regulator is referenced to manifold pressure,

as standard at tickover with the pipe disconnected you should see 3 Bar (connect the pipe at tickover and you'll see less than 3 Bar)

the reg is a 1:1 type. for every psi of boost you will have an extra psi of fuel pressure.

IE 1.8 bar boost = 4.8Bar fuel pressure.

stuarty

I can understand what you are saying (a bit) i only mentioned it because i talk to them before i do anything to the car, not being technically minded i put the trust in people who have been there before....as why i said fit a adjustable reg cos that's what i had heard (until now) and thought this must be normal procedure.

GTIR PARTS FOR SALE:

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator hardly used £offers.......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::oops:

Dooie Pop Pop

it depends on wether you can replace the oe one cheaper or not tbh (i did, oe for oe). swapping any 15 yr old part that wears down over time is a good idea and the fpr controls the fuel flow and return for your engine........

keep it on and just set it at the correct base pressure..

P

pulsarboby

stuarty said:
I can understand what you are saying (a bit) i only mentioned it because i talk to them before i do anything to the car, not being technically minded i put the trust in people who have been there before....as why i said fit a adjustable reg cos that's what i had heard (until now) and thought this must be normal procedure.

GTIR PARTS FOR SALE:

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator hardly used £offers.......:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::oops:

no need to feel a twat:lol: as you said your just going on what people tell you;-) not one of us on here knows everything, except for stumo of course, but he comes from another place in the galaxy so is entitled to know more!

some say he has fingers protruding from his ears so he can pick his nose easily
some say he has a kidney stone in place of a heart
all i know is hes called the STUMO:lol: :lol: :lol:

O

Odin

pulsarboby said:
some say he has fingers protruding from his ears so he can pick his nose easily
some say he has a kidney stone in place of a heart
all i know is hes called the STUMO:lol: :lol: :lol:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

He is indeed a very special kind of guy :thumbsup: .

Rob

azboy

MarkTurbo said:
You dont need an adjustable regulator to run high boost :doh:

The fuel pressure regulator raises the fuel pressure in relation to boost level, so if you you were running 1 bar boost your fuel pressure would rise to 4 bar when you hit that boost level ;-)
i never relised that, u learn something new every day