Turbo elbow....

MATTYGREEN

I've just had a full goose system fitted to my R and am now thinking of buying an up-rated turbo elbow to replace the standard one.

But before I go and spend around £250 - £300 on one, I was just wondering how much of a difference they actually make? I mean my goose was around £290 for the full system and an elbow is going to cost about the same again. I'm not moaning about the price of one, but if they don't make that much of a difference then I might put the money towards a bigger turbo instead?

Your thoughts please......

P

pulsarboby

save your dosh for a bigger tubby, negligable improvement!

CruiseGTi-R

i thought the biggest restriction on the stock exhaust was the elbow.

I also thought you needed to dump air con as well and that no-one makes these lebows anymore anyway?

P

pulsarboby

i had a gtir with one fitted which was adapted from a 200sx elbow with the exhaust cut and turned to accomodate the angle.
ripped it off as made no difference at all and went back with standard elbow, was a complete botch up!
i havent seen one made specifically for the R either.
think he will be much wiser to save dosh for bigger tubby than having elbow made, seems a lot of money to me.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
If you were to go to a 3" elbow using a standard turbo the difference in power would be almost negligible but if used with a bigger turbo you will see vast gains in bhp and torque.

The Janspeed 3" (off the shelf) system has the best internally wastegated 3" elbow i've ever seen for this car but you would have to loose your aircon.

youngsyp

I think a major point is being missed here. Sure, you won't get much more power on a standard turbo but, you will get much improved spool up which will mean better throttle response !

I tend to think of it this way, if the first part of the exhaust the gas sees on exit is a 2" elbow, what's the point in putting a 2.5" + section on the back of that, the gas won't get past the elbow restriction any quicker. You may aswell put a 2" exhaust on the car !

I've had larger elbows made for my last 2 turbo cars (ST205 GT Four and now the GTiR) and they make a huge difference to spool up and initial engine response giving you more low down torque !

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
youngsyp said:
I think a major point is being missed here. Sure, you won't get much more power on a standard turbo but, you will get much improved spool up which will mean better throttle response !

I tend to think of it this way, if the first part of the exhaust the gas sees on exit is a 2" elbow, what's the point in putting a 2.5" + section on the back of that, the gas won't get past the elbow restriction any quicker. You may aswell put a 2" exhaust on the car !

I've had larger elbows made for my last 2 turbo cars (ST205 GT Four and now the GTiR) and they make a huge difference to spool up and initial engine response giving you more low down torque !
No major points missed really, just at 2.45 AM, I didn't have it in me to write an extended essay and lay out all the advantages of a better elbow and front pipe.

Steve

youngsyp

stevepudney said:
No major points missed really, just at 2.45 AM, I didn't have it in me to write an extended essay and lay out all the advantages of a better elbow and front pipe.

Steve
No worries, just thought I'd 'pad' your response out a bit ! :lol:

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
I'm running a Janspeed 3" elbow+downpipe combo pipe onto a 'goose and I'm running a std turbo and the difference is very noticable ; the turbo spools quicker and the 'R has gained a fair bit of low down torque as well as mid range and top end power. :twisted: :thumbsup:
Anything that helps the engine breath better is worth doing :-D

Think the Janspeed can only be ordered from Performance FX.

If you have the money to do it then do it! :-D:-D

Cheers,

donpulsar

S

sR20DET

hi
do you have a web address for the janspeed dump pipe, it sounds good and i might just invest in one as i have just bought myself a hybrid for my R
thanks