transmission problems

Paul20

i have not long had my gearbox rebuilt by ian at hiteq with quaife gearkit and all new bearings and selectors etc along with os giken super single.

iv had a problem with it jumping out of gear when engine breaking in 1st coming to junctions but lately when i accelerate quickly through the gears it hasnt been going into 4th. if i press the clutch again and try engage 4th, it just grinds. however, all gears seem to engage properly if i change through them slowly.
does this sound like a selector fork or clutch problem? also now, theres a whinning noise coming from the gearbox whenever i let off the accelerator and de-acelerate?

im in two minds whether i can make a trip to ian at hiteq without causing some serious damage?

any advice appreciated

P

pulsarmick

hi there the best thing to do is ring hiteq and say there is a problem with your car and your not able to drive it to them they sould pay for the tow as they have done the work as all the parts you have said are top rated so there must be afault with the work done hope this will help:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul20

yes, im going to ring them first thing monday and see what he says. may be something simple but dont want to do damage the gearset or anything if theres something rattling about in there somewhere. all i can do is get it back to them and let them sort it from there. hopefully it wont cost another small fortune

P

pulsarboby

if box has just been rebuilt, i would say that its been overshimmed with no movement allowed under preload.
this will put excess pressure on the bearing and cause it to whine on deceleration and jump out of gear.
i personally wouldnt use it, although it must have some sort of warranty on it.

as you say its better to phone him and if he says drive it and it goes bang then the problems his and not yours. no way should you pay any extra towards it.

Paul20

Fast Guy said:
Don't forget it's a bank holiday.;-)
well spotted. ha. i think i am one of the unlucky few at work tomorrow.

@pulsarbobby, box/clutch has covered less than 1000miles and i have only just noticed the gear changing problem and whinning noise the past few days. like you say, there must be some sort of warranty on it so i'll see what they say. hopefully get it sorted

Paul20

ive rang him at some times expecting no answer on the phone and he's answered. i tried yesturday and today but didnt realy expect an answer over bank holiday weekend. will have to be tuesday now, not to worry.