Transfer box & gearbox oils

S

Stoned

How often do these need to be changed?

Miles or years.

I have no reason to believe either are in a bad way. I'm just thinking of doing a major service to make sure everything is sorted.

Cheers :)

youngsyp

I'd say it depends on what sort of power you're running, how you drive, how many miles you do a year and what oil you're using !

I plan to change mine every year until someone gives me a reason not to !

Cheers

Paul

S

Stoned

youngsyp said:
I'd say it depends on what sort of power you're running, how you drive, how many miles you do a year and what oil you're using !

I plan to change mine every year until someone gives me a reason not to !

Cheers

Paul
Currently 250bhp, soon 280-300bhp. I drive it quite considerately and never go over 3500rpm until the engine is warmed up. I only do about 10,000 miles a year as I work locally, about 1/3 of which is motorway miles. And I have no idea what oil is in there now. All I know from the receipts is that a Nissan garage last topped up the oil.

Oilman suggested some oil in another post so I know what I could use if I should be changing it. I take it the GTI-R transfer boxes aren’t lifetime sealed like some other cars?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Stoned said:
. All I know from the receipts is that a Nissan garage last topped up the oil.
Have you got a leak then? As it shouldn't need topping up otherwise.
Nissan recommend changing it every 2 years, but if you want to do it more often there's nothing stopping you. :wink:

boucherie

im currently doing my gearbox, transfer box, and rear diff oils this weekend. Im using the Millers fully synthetic stuff for all 3, and when i drained the rear diff and gearbox the oils didnt look that bad, i know the gearbox was last done bout 15months ago(ish). the only problem i found was to get the car level enough to undo the transfer box fill plug, so its gona have to go to my mates garage on tuesday and have that one done making sure he uses my oil.
From what i can see on the transfer box, there is no reason to beleive that its 'lifetime' sealed.