Toyota running gear

keastygtir

Hi Everyone

With the interesting recent thread with the car fitted with Toyota 4WD system I was wondering if there would be any interest in the club to properly investigate what would be required to fit the system. I for one would be prepared to put some money toward investigating the use of this system. I am sure as a club we have members who are capable of taking on the project.

Perhaps as a club we could crowd fund a project to make up brackets / driveshafts etc and have the fitting process documented.

It would seem to be the answer to running a high powered R without needing expensive upgrades to the existing gearbox and still be a purely mechanical system. This should retain the character of the car which is why we all love them.

Dangerous Dave

That's not a bad idea at all!

Im guessing that someone such as stu or Bogdan will be best for this task but the problem will be time as I know these two are busy people.

I know that I can fit/make things work and I have plenty of cars to test it on but again the lad I use is just as busy.

Dangerous Dave

If someone is willing to do it I'm sure I can supply a car for the work to be done to (that's if they done want to do it to there own)

vss irvine

I dont see the point in all the work to change to another 25 yr old 4wd system.

Only issue the cars have are high power problems with gearboxes. Unless you plan to run 500-600+ hp why go to all the hassle?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Good idea but you need people to have the time i have the ability to do this but not the time.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How was the car that had the VW? Haldex system in (can't bleeding remember what it was now)

vss irvine

I didnt do the conversion but i got it road legal before selling it on. Best you could get was 60/40 split.

Engine was lower. Custom flywheel, custom driveshafts etc etc etc.

RO_SUNNY

I am into it 100%>
I saw ...some months ago...an Mazda 323 Gtr which was running 580 Wheel Horse Power (from Sweden) with the GT4 transmission and didn't had any issues

A complete gearbox with transfer case is roughly 250 GBP......so.....I am asking myself...why not?!

But...then again....take into consideration that the GtiR tranny minus the gearbox is capable of handling 600 bhp without issues.
For example.......this guy, which happens to be a friend of mine (and I have seen with my own eyes).....is doing 8.4 sec on the 1/4 mile with only a PPG gear set...and cast stainless gearbox case.....and stock tranny (diffs, shaft...and so on)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FyNlmWmGk

So.....I am not saying that a GT4 tranny will be bad...but please take into consideration the following:
-You will need the GT4 2'rd generation gearbox (or 2'nd gen but only Carlos Sainz Edition)
-Rear diff from the 2'nd edition....the cheapet LSD diff (and also esy to find)
-Modify the shafts
-Make whatever brackets neede in order to make everything reliable.

With this being said...I think you will need something in the area of.......2000 GBP....but with that kind of money you can get an Quaife Gbox and solve the problem!

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member

With this being said...I think you will need something in the area of.......2000 GBP....but with that kind of money you can get an Quaife Gbox and solve the problem!
Quaife fitted box can still go. You then need to sort the gear case as well, straight cut gears and final drive seem to be needed as well to help with the problem. Ask Danny what he's done to his to hold his power. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the list is a lot longer and more expensive than £2000.

This is the 6 speed audi TT conversion, just a bit of boost and exhaust , also had the haldex control so he can move the power from fwd to 50/50

11.677 1/4 mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2WgtH2stkk

What power is it there?

vss irvine

This is the 6 speed audi TT conversion, just a bit of boost and exhaust , also had the haldex control so he can move the power from fwd to 50/50

11.677 1/4 mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2WgtH2stkk
So it did go full 50/50 split fair enough.
That car was light aswell but it seemed to go well.

Its alot of work and unless you could do it yourself i wouldnt bother. The cost to pay someone to do this conversion would be a fair amount.

Also bearing in mind you cant use a stock fuel tank or Stock exhaust, stock shafts, stock rear subframe, stock prop ( tt one needs shortened and a new bearing and carrier bracket mounted.)
Mount the cable operated selector mech.
lower engine and box so the transfer box lines up with the rear diff.

Exhaust must be rear routed under subframe or fit a side exit.
Custom flywheel and sandwich plate to mount gearbox.

So yeah its alot of work...☺

RO_SUNNY

[/QUOTE]What power is it there?[/QUOTE]

Approx 1000 Bhp.........and believe me....that car is a total Beast!

Now....coming back on this issue.
I have also discussed with Danny, some time ago, about gearboxes and he also suggested to buy only 3'rd, 4'th and maybe 5'th gear from quaife .....which costs roughly around 1000 GBP.
But then again.....your case is prone to failure.......well...you might as well buy the Kit from Stracher....or weld reinforcements to the current case (that's what I'll do).

Anyway/.........I would give it a try with the GT4 tranny.....so, next project for the coming winter guys?:))

red reading

Quaife fitted box can still go. You then need to sort the gear case as well, straight cut gears and final drive seem to be needed as well to help with the problem. Ask Danny what he's done to his to hold his power. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing the list is a lot longer and more expensive than £2000.

What power is it there?
Yeah its had a bit spent on it Basicslly if you added labour charges to fit the st205 box and parts it would cost as much as fitting a gear set to the stock box, for most the gearset is all that is needed, as martyn said really regarding the age of the gearboxes too...i do know most will need rebuilding by now.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I think the gears in mine are OK... but the bearings are on the way out according to Andy.

RO_SUNNY

Yeah its had a bit spent on it Basicslly if you added labour charges to fit the st205 box and parts it would cost as much as fitting a gear set to the stock box, for most the gearset is all that is needed, as martyn said really regarding the age of the gearboxes too...i do know most will need rebuilding by now.
Not my Gearbox Danny! Not mine:)))

Mine is in pristine working condition....just changed the bearings....and now it's good to go...I will add some 75W90 shock proff oil....and ...goooo

red reading

Not my Gearbox Danny! Not mine:)))

Mine is in pristine working condition....just changed the bearings....and now it's good to go...I will add some 75W90 shock proff oil....and ...goooo
You run a stock gearbox....i have no idea what you are on about?!