Toyo R888 R

MarkTurbo

Don't know if anybody has seen the new R888's yet but I spotted them at the Autosport show a couple days ago. They look pretty grippy and remind me of the Dunlop DZ02's which you can't get anymore.

Jon Olds

Presume the groove is so they grip in the wet.
Last time I used these was on a 200bhp+ seat rallying at albermarle
Used 80% of a pair of fronts in 40 miles
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I wonder if they've updated the compound on those tyres as the 888's have been left behind in recent years with newer brands and compounds?

Jon Olds

Would be good to get some feedback from users of the latest track rubber. Price wise there is not much difference between track and rally tyres. I would love to find something cheaper than CR311 Dunlops for rallying
Jon

MarkTurbo

Presume the groove is so they grip in the wet.
Last time I used these was on a 200bhp+ seat rallying at albermarle
Used 80% of a pair of fronts in 40 miles
Jon
That's the reason I only use them for hillclimbs & sprints. Anything longer than a few minutes hard driving makes them wear ridiculously fast, especially the SG compound.

Andy, what do you mean about the compounds being left behind by other brands? The SG R888 is just as good as any of the other semi slicks on the market.

Jon Olds

Long stages, some virgin concrete, lots of fast high g corners, wear is always a problem at Albermarle. Mind the grip and progression was good!
Jon

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Andy, what do you mean about the compounds being left behind by other brands? The SG R888 is just as good as any of the other semi slicks on the market.
I've noticed that the feedback for 888's (not SG) has been less postitive than it did have say 3-5 years ago.
Much of it comes back to that they over heat when used in 20min races (10 laps+).

Where other manufactures have brought out new tyres or marketed new compounds of medium tyres, Toyo seems to have not released anything (I'm not including SG as they are super soft and more suitable for sprints and hillclimbs)

Other manufactures have launched new tyres/compounds (new tread patterns) but Toyo hasn't lauched anything new for the trackday market, until now.

I'm not saying the 888's are crap, I've just noticed that compared to the new brands and evolutions of trackday tyres, Toyo seemed to have been left behind when developing new performance sports tyres.

I'd be interested to see the feedback of the new Toyo tyre, with brands as the Yokohama A050, the Hankook Ventus Z221 released (hopefully coming to the UK) and the Dunlop Direzza 03G still available, I'd be interested to see what people make of them.