Topmount or not?

What is the best manifold to use giving the most clearance whith a GT3071/GT3076R?
Would I need a Japspeed topmount or just the normal design with the turbo down below?

splmum

Have you bought a GTI-R.

Give us some info on it and some pics and I'm sure we will be able to advise you on your question.

But if it is a pie in the sky question then the final choice is up to you and you don't really need any input.

I'm asking this because I see almost everyone with a normal manifold, looks like nobody uses the topmount one.
Is this because of the lack of space when using a topmount?

ps. haven't got a car yet but I'm going to see one soon which has a forged engine but no big-ass turbo on it yet;-)
Instead of buying a complete built car I'm now looking at buying a very good shell/car and building the rest myself.

shroom

Some people use top mounts but proper ones not japspeed... Dobbys old red R has a top mount

The only advantage I can think of is the tight space when using a normal one?
The topmount one from Dobby is a log manifold if I remember, not really the most efficient type of manifold.
A log manifold I can make myself but if I can buy a topmount manifold with equal runners for about 175gbp I'm not even going to try and make one myself.
I'll just click on Ebay ;-)
Anyone got personal experience with the Japspeed manifold?
I guess they always need a support bracket to prevent them from cracking in about 2 weeks?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
A log manifold I can make myself but if I can buy a topmount manifold with equal runners for about 175gbp I'm not even going to try and make one myself.
I'll just click on Ebay ;-)
Just remember, you get what you pay for. A decent manifold could cost £1000+

If hardly anyone uses top mounts and there's quite a few big turbos out there, wouldn't that suggest there might not be that much of a problem?
Just how big a turbo are you planning on fitting?

John

I really dont see the point in going down the top mount route as despite having a huge turbo which will produce huge power the block and gearbox isnt built to take anything above 600bhp, realistically anyway. 500bhp is alot of power in these cars since they weigh very little in comparison to modern day cars, so really if it were me I would forget about the top mount route and all the hassle, issues and unknowns it brings.

mckelvr

Have you bought a GTI-R.

Give us some info on it and some pics and I'm sure we will be able to advise you on your question.

But if it is a pie in the sky question then the final choice is up to you and you don't really need any input.
Kinda agree here m8

Last edited: