To those running 1.6+ bar

frp

To those running 1.6+ bar, what are you plugs gapped at? also what heat range are you using?

steve

stumo

NGK iridiums, 9's, whatever gap they came with (i've got new leads, coil and amplifier, no probs at 1.8 so far)

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
This will depend on the health of your ignition system. The more tired it is the closer the gap will need to be..

I would look into an MSD ignition kit. That way you can run a decent gap for a more reliable spark/burn..

Fusion Ed

Rishi, not had a prob with 2 bar on stock ign (unless using e-manage).

Using bog standard NGKs heat range 9 gapped to 0.7mm.

frp

i have been running 0.7mm gap and having an issue for over a year and a half. now ive been lazy up to now, it has nt been a problem as i have got used to it and learned to avoid it. so now im thinking about trying to fix it :lol:
i was going to reduce the gap in 0.05 stages down to 0.5mm or until its resolved? So i thought id see what others are using (i appreciate set ups will vary) i just didnt want to take the gap too close etc
I think at the moment i have the BKR9EIX but i might try the BCR8ES?

Regards

steve

stumo

[I think at the moment i have the BKR9EIX but i might try the BCR8ES?
Why? unless you're having fouling problems you're better off with a colder plug.

and going from a 9 to an 8 will not make the ign system work better!!!!

frp

the only reason i was going to do this was because after alot of reading some have found the BKR9EIX to cause fouling issues which have been solved by replacing with BCR8ES. Im slowly running out of ideas, and probably just clutching at straws :roll:

Fusion Ed

It could well be your plugs are fouling during some points. Need to go for a normal/hard drive and then take them out to look at. Id start with rotor arm and cap personally.

frp

they are the only bits still in the box ed. (im lazy)
its mainly 3rd and 4th WOT after gear change, although did happen in 1st on take off and change into 2nd again WOT, it all messed up damn it :evil:

O

Odin

I tried 7's/8's and 9's on my old car and both the 7's and 8's worked best right up to 2 bar with out any problems at all, And that was using the standard ignition system.

Rob

frp

:lol: had the engine out the other day and i cant even find time to do the dizzy :doh: :oops:

P

pulsarboby

tell you something else you could try that arent a gimmick and do actually work and thats splitfire!
im gonna try using one on my car (ive now done away with the msd)
i used to use thes on other cars 'some turbo some not' and providing it has a dizzy they work great.
they screw into either side of the coil king lead or you can fit one to each ht lead and they split / amplify the spark at the plug.
last time i bought some they were from a motorbike show in london and the first bike i tried them on went like the clappers once i had set the carbs up.

once ive done my crank in my car il try these out and let peeps know whether they are good or not on a turbod car running high boost.

Last edited by a moderator:

LOU ROB

I have always used standard ignition. Had some problems a few years back with the spark aplifier module.
When I had the GT30/40 fitted, I couldn't get over 1.6 bar of boost without having spark blowout in every gear, so wired in a H.K.S twin power ignition aplifier and it never missed a beat after that all the way to 2.4 bar.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I have always used standard ignition. Had some problems a few years back with the spark aplifier module.
When I had the GT30/40 fitted, I couldn't get over 1.6 bar of boost without having spark blowout in every gear, so wired in a H.K.S twin power ignition aplifier and it never missed a beat after that all the way to 2.4 bar.
How is the new spec coming along?

LOU ROB

How is the new spec coming along?
Dunno mate, since I ran it in I havent bothered with it due to the racing season was more or less over by the time the ppg box was built up, so it'll be sat at dp untill spring.
I do believe that they are going to be putting it on car planets rollers very soon to do some tweeking and see what she's putting out.