meheadhurts

i've been told that the laws changed regarding tinted
windows?

Does this also apply to the rear windows, coz b4 u
could have them as dark as u want?

anyone?

Websnowbo

Far as i know son its just the front.

I'm not sure about the rear but from experience its a nightmare having the rear window tinted when driving at night!

skiddusmarkus

The legislation regarding tinted windows is covered by the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations of 1986.

Basically, it allows you to have tints on your windows as follows:-

Front Windscreen - 25% tint
Drivers window and Front Passengers window - 30% tint
All other windows - Unlimited
I'm not sure if that includes the new revisions.It's taken from:http://www.westlothiannews.co.uk/Articles/trafficpolice.html

I found that after a 2 second search on Google :wink: .

A

Anonymous

This is a qoute from a mag mate.

The front windscreen CAN'T be tinted at all

The rear and side windows (from the b pillar back) can be as dark as you like.

The front side windows (forward of the b pillar) should be no darker than 70 percent VLT, which pretty much rules out any tint film whatsoever.
VLT stands for variable light transmission.
If your window film lets in 60 percent of light it means you have a 60 percent VLT. That effictively means that it is keeping out 40 percent of light - what some people refer to as 40 percent film.

K

KrissJ

I had the windows tinted on my old saxo and when the law changed on the 1st Jan this year (due to an accident where a motor cyclist was killed) I got a letter through from the company that did them saying that anything but an extremely light tint is now illegal on the front (can't remember the %). As far as the rears are concerned you can still have what ever you want. A lot of places that do tints won't actually put illegal tints on anymore either.

My cousin has already been a victim of this new law in Jan (even though no one seems to know about the new law & the police could quite easily have taken his details and said sort it and let him off as the law had only been in for afew days!). He was drivin normally, not speedin or anything and was pulled over and he had to remove his tints there and then or they were gonna get his car towed & make him pay for it! He had to scrape them off with his key so it now looks a mess & has scratches on his windows. The worst thing is, his tints aren't even dark! In the light fom some angles you can hardly even tell that they're tinted, they're more for security than anything as they're special anti-smash ones.

Fuckin wankers! :evil:

Hope that clears it up :D

A

Anonymous

F*ckin filth have nothing better to do with there time than in-fringe on people's liberties.

I've had at least four cars with tinted windows, my current S14 has tints, and i have no problems seeing! even at night on unlit roads... :evil:

What a bunch of useless C*nts are police force are... wasting our tax money enforcing bullsh*t like this! :shock: :x yet realising paedophiles and dodgy fuc*ers out of jail early to save money!

I love living in what is increasingly becoming an over priced police state :D :evil:

J

jasegould

I've had at least four cars with tinted windows, my current S14 has tints, and i have no problems seeing! even at night on unlit roads...
You are joking right??? Ive had tints on my cars and you cant see fcuk all at night...I have tints on my rear windows at the moment and its a pain to reverse in unlit areas.

K

KrissJ

The tints on my saxo were fairly dark at the back and still quite dark on the front (they'd be illegal now, I think they were 35% on the front) and didn't have trouble seeing out at night. I think its just very, very dark windows (or bad eye sight) that'd cause problems, they're just over doin it.

That thing with the police pullin my cousin over though, is absolutely rediculous!!! :x :evil:

GTiR_Mic

I have tints on the side and back but i think i got smoked on the front. I was told they where ok off a friend but im not sure. It is only up to 30% on the front windows i believe to be legal. I have no problems reversing at all with the back tints

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
F*ckin filth have nothing better to do with there time than in-fringe on people's liberties.
The f*ckin filth, as you put it, are only doing the f*ckin jobs.:evil: One of the reasons the law changed was because of an accident where someone was killed. The law changed to protect the rest of us from wankers like you.
I agree that some laws are ridiculous and a pain in the ass but I think this one is sensible. Just remember you, like all of the other drivers on the planet, drive a lethal weapon, how can you be in control of something like that with your vision impaired. What a cunt :evil:

K

KrissJ

Its the government that are the c***s for bringing shit laws in but the police, while they are just doing their jobs, can be total arseholes in the way they enforce those laws, i.e. making my cousin rip his tints off 'or else' when the law had only been in a few days and NO one knew about it anyway!

Its like I said before, they're goin over the top (as per usual) and I used to have tints on the old legal limit and never had ANY problems seeing out what so ever, even in dark crappy conditions. Its only really dark tints that impair visibility. Whats to say that dick that killed the biker hasn't just got crap eyesight or just wasn't payin attention or looking where he was goin and its just been blamed on the tints? They have to blame something and they were there so they get blamed, everyone that has tints on the old limit has to pay to get them taken out or be fined!

I bet all these business men and old people with dark tints on normal cars will NEVER get stopped, but as soon as the police see a young person in a sporty or modified car they'll be on to them straight away.

And add to this the fact that petrol has just gone up by 1p a litre and will go up another 1.9p in september! I f***ing hate our government!!! :evil:

jonesgti_r

Well next general election use your vote.

As for the 'filth' they are only doing there job and the odd few give the rest a bad name but if you keep your cool and are polite they will go easy on you. Get all @rsey and hurl abuse you get a ticket

Rant over 8)

K

KrissJ

Oh believe me, I will be using my vote!

I agree that the police (I've never called them the filth and still have respect for them, after all, 1 of my cousins is in the police) can be alright, it just seems to be random the way that they pick up on stupid little things, almost like they have a personal vendetta against certain typews of people.

Credit where its due though, I got pulled a while back for dangerous drivin and was absolutely gutted. They saw that and gave me the benifit of the doubt and let me off. Needless to say I was more than grateful (probably should've been up in court) and have taken their advice and been more careful since. :)

gtirmouse

30% on front side windows, my friend got pulled last tuesday 4 a routine check, i was in the car, and thats what the policeman said but you have to take into account the factory tint to the window usually a green or brown, which is about 7% so beware! but side rear are un limited

to be honest i think cars which have tints darker that in the front look crap anyway (no offence intended just my oppinion) 30% all round looks the nuts - stealth - not ott but still looks tinted