timing out, lack of power

A

Anonymous

hey all, some of you may have read the previous post of mine, where the car seemed to feel like it was making peak powerat 4500 5000rpm.
well i got it on the dyno today results being..
>pinging and knocking at anything over 4500rpm, (boost i had set at 13.5psi, it still knocked at 9 psi)
> distributor was found not in its normal place,dyno run indicated advanced cam timing.
> when they put the distributor to the position it should be in the car was then running full retard timing, so they put the distributor wherre it shouldnt be and it set timing to 20deg
>conclusion they came to without taking the tappet cover off and looking was that the cam timing chain has slipped a link on the exhaust side, hence the reason the distributor not setting timing right.
>>so now they have just set the boost way down until i get them to check and reposition the chain properly.
(must say the car is realy freakin slow now, but beter then blowing the engine)
THANK FUCK THEY HAVE DONE THERE HOMEWORK ON THE GTIR ENGINE AND THEY HAVE WORKED OUT WHAT POSITION THE CHAIN AND SHIT SHOULD BE IN, BY COUNTING THE LINKS AND TAKING PICS OF A PROPER SETUP, AND YES I KNOW THERE IS A COLOUR BIT ON THE CHAIN BUT THATS GENERALLY WARN OF BY NOW THEY TELL ME> and they will change the chain with the motor still in the car... so all up its only going to cost $250 aus .
lets just hope thats all it is.
anyone ever had this problem???
and could it not be that i somehow have aftermarked cam gears fitted which have moved posi???
(they also said that it was making an unsusal lot of power down low then dropping straight of once at 4500rpm....)
ow the fun of owning an rrrrrr..
thanks
Luke..

zia

they should know straight away if it,s got vernier gears when they take the cam cover off,it very rare for the the chain to slip a tooth.did you notice any rattling noises?get them to check hydraulic tensioner while they are at it!

zia

turblio

if its making a lot of low down power it quite likley has verniers set on -
degrees, or jumped a tooth (very unusual) or it has had the ignition timing set without removing the TPS first, some clown done this to mine
once but the ecu tends to rectify this a little, which can be misleading I done the usual disconnect battery and TPS then retime ignition and it was fine :)
good luck anyway! :?
Frank

A

Anonymous

ok thanks for the info,,, have had the same responce on the gtir yahoo forum, seems near inposible for the chain to just slip a link without anything breaking before hand, and without any noticble change in noise...
could somone please shed some more light on the setting of timing and the tps cover.
say they didnt take the tps cover off and they moved the distributer to where it should be but timing is still way off --is this what would happen or not??
if not, then what happens if timing is changed witout removing the tps.
(will spend some more time doing searches and see whatelse i can find.
TURBLIO- yeah thats there reasoning behind thinking that its slipped a link, and somthing else about the exhaust side of things getting extremly hot..