timing chain guides

Murff93GTiR

got a question about timing chain guides.the floating chain guide on the inlet side of my engine has a bit of "in and out" movement is this normal?

Al Mac

Yes, there's a tensioner round the back of it that holds the guide in place both with a spring and using oil pressure. Once the engine's running the oil pressure in the tensioner should push the chain guide into the correct position and prevent it moving, but with the engine off (and the cam-cover off I presume if you're able to see the guide!) you should expect some movement.

Murff93GTiR

yeh the whole engine was in bits getting a rebuild but what i was meaning was that the guide was moving in and out as in towards the oil ump casing and the block if that makes sense?but then again are you meaning once the tensioner is in and oil pressure built up there wont be any movement?

P

pulsarboby

yes thats normal, its designed to have a bit of lateral float in it

Murff93GTiR

I bought a brand new chain and tensioner straight from nissan.only waited 4 days for it which i was impressed with so hopefully it is the newer tensioner

Murff93GTiR

Goof to know will check it against the old one as its not fitted yet having a bit of a nightmare timing it up tbh lol