Time attack!!

johnsy

steve fergusson races in the The Northern Sports & Saloon Car Championship i know its not quite time attack but there are people out there flying the flag!

although i dont think he's raced in a couple of season

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Are your running a car? :shock:
You could be like Simon Norris is on the MLR, and we could all be sycophantic and tell you how good you are. :thumbsup:
So, it will be a Pulsar shell with EVO running gear and the engine from a Skyline - that's roughly equivalent to an EVO with Skyline running gear and the engine from a bigger Mitsubishi isn't it?

Last edited:

ddautosports

haha you make me laugh you do pobody, as for the are we running bit it may be possible we will have some pics up in the next few weeks,ro sunny, no there not crap quite a tool really just that nobody has ever really pushed them.

mckelvr

haha you make me laugh you do pobody, as for the are we running bit it may be possible we will have some pics up in the next few weeks,ro sunny, no there not crap quite a tool really just that nobody has ever really pushed them.
this surely isnt D (we,ll rip you off)P motorsport back again surely not !!!!!

ddautosports

here we go again

here we go again
i have read through the post regarding grants manifold problem and to a extent it is true,grant orderd a manifold through us a tublar one and there was quite a delay in grant receiveing this mainly down to our exhaust manifold fabricator cutting his finger off.

I think grant waited about 6 weeks for the manifold to arrive and when it did the flange was twisted so grant then sent the manifold back for this problem to be rectified we rectified this problem and grant decided to get another manifold from another company at this point we then agreed to sell the manifold to another one of our customers to reimburst grant which was also a pain in the arse getting the other customer to pay for grants manifold, around this time grant decided on the idea for us to get him a set of teins which we agreed on, this went back and to for a while we were trying to get money for the manifold to pay for the teins which never occured.

This sittuation was still going on arround christmas time and this was the time i left dp and new people came in one of them whome was my old buisness partner who was up to date on the grant manifold situation.The comment of do you know who i am was not me i wasnt even there.
I have a lot of respect for grant and he is one of the nicest and patient customers i have had to deal with i even went up to i think vvs irvine at oulton park thinking it was grant to see whether the whole manifold problem had been sorted out and i was once again in a position to help.
I left dp at the end of 08 to concentrate on family and to join back up with my dad dave perry snr and do something again together as he had gone into early retirement in 07 thats why you now have dd autosports.

As for the dp-dpv as from the end of 08 it has had nothing to do with me nor my dad but at the time of grants problem i was there at the beging but not at the end.
Over the years i have seen the way these forums work and understand why people express there comments we have been running tuning facilites for 18 years which is a long time it is hard to please everyone all the time but we do try.

I beleive grant is not at a financial loss but i am personnally sorry for the iconveinence he was put through for my part.

i written this a few days ago grant on another section

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
haha you make me laugh you do pobody, as for the are we running bit it may be possible we will have some pics up in the next few weeks.
It's just that for the "pinnacle of EVO tuning" there's not much that's actually EVO about it.

• Cut and welded chassis, so that's not really an EVO any more.
  • Engine out of a Spacewagon (I think); certainly not the same 2L lump from an EVO
  • Skyline drive shafts and diffs.
  • Obviously non-standard ECU.
  • Non-standard sequential gearbox.
Don't get me wrong, the thing shifts and there's no disputing the Norris Designs can build a car. I'm just debating whether it's really an EVO, or just a car loosely based on a Mitsubishi Lancer. - I think it stretched the Time Attack rules a bit.

As a contrast, look at the RCM car: definitely still an Imprezza chassis; definitely the same engine as the original (although forged and rebuilt to a huge spec)... and all the parts are available for sale from RCM if you want to build your own.

Hopefully the DD car would be like that too; recognisable as the shell it's come from and a sales showcase for the parts and work that has gone into it.

Anyway, I'm way off topic now. - I quite agree that the Sunny/Pulsar has great potential, and it's a little unfair to compare it to the equivalent Mitsubishi or Subaru that are half it's age. It was outstanding technology for the day, and it's a shame that Nissan lost interest in the project. If they'd stuck with it a bit longer, imagine what we'd have now!

I'm unashamedly biased, but I've been a Nissan man for many years; from the mighty 120Y my wife had (that you just couldn't kill no matter how much abuse it got); to the 180B track car my friend had; to my very own GTS-T Skyline; and finally my own GTi-R. I've always loved the way that the Skylines could kill the V8 supercars, and am still a little sad that Australia felt the need to stop them from competing because it made the 5L V8s look so bad when a Datsun with an engine half as big came flying past them on full boost. - I know I used to enjoy letting the Commodore drivers get a good view of those twin circles disappearing in front of them!

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

time attack is crap: unless your a tuner and want to put your goods on show in order to gain more work and orders.

i know steve ferguson and have dealt with him a few times this year, the series hes running in is worth 10 time attacks in terms of driver and car ability.

he's had and is still having the same probs as me with regard to power and temps for half hour constant racing week in and week out, but think were getting somewhere now with that issue at long last, hopefully if this is resolved then the gtir can be a very competetive car in this class, they are not as bad as everyone thinks once some of the issues have been ironed out.

time attack is simply not in the same league as racing a car against other racers over a championship running throughout the year...its a whole different ball game altogether.

also rob barnes who organises time attack is as far as im concerned just in it to grab as much money as he can from it, every year i get emails to try and entice me to run at what i think is a ripoff price for what it is with hardly any track time! in a nutshell its just glorified pace making.

true racing at club level wins every time as far as myself and im sure many others would also agree!

ddautosports

I wont say to much bob and you are right to a extent,but wouldnt it be good for the pulsar to get the recognition it deserves and compete in the time attack series and you never no it could even surprise a few people and bring the status of the car back up to where it belongs.

mckelvr

here we go again
i have read through the post regarding grants manifold problem and to a extent it is true,grant orderd a manifold through us a tublar one and there was quite a delay in grant receiveing this mainly down to our exhaust manifold fabricator cutting his finger off.

I think grant waited about 6 weeks for the manifold to arrive and when it did the flange was twisted so grant then sent the manifold back for this problem to be rectified we rectified this problem and grant decided to get another manifold from another company at this point we then agreed to sell the manifold to another one of our customers to reimburst grant which was also a pain in the arse getting the other customer to pay for grants manifold, around this time grant decided on the idea for us to get him a set of teins which we agreed on, this went back and to for a while we were trying to get money for the manifold to pay for the teins which never occured.

This sittuation was still going on arround christmas time and this was the time i left dp and new people came in one of them whome was my old buisness partner who was up to date on the grant manifold situation.The comment of do you know who i am was not me i wasnt even there.
I have a lot of respect for grant and he is one of the nicest and patient customers i have had to deal with i even went up to i think vvs irvine at oulton park thinking it was grant to see whether the whole manifold problem had been sorted out and i was once again in a position to help.
I left dp at the end of 08 to concentrate on family and to join back up with my dad dave perry snr and do something again together as he had gone into early retirement in 07 thats why you now have dd autosports.

As for the dp-dpv as from the end of 08 it has had nothing to do with me nor my dad but at the time of grants problem i was there at the beging but not at the end.
Over the years i have seen the way these forums work and understand why people express there comments we have been running tuning facilites for 18 years which is a long time it is hard to please everyone all the time but we do try.

I beleive grant is not at a financial loss but i am personnally sorry for the iconveinence he was put through for my part.

i written this a few days ago grant on another section

heres what really happened

read this if you are considering using dp motorsport for parts or tuning...
Last year i bought a tubular manifold from this company .after my engine was built we went to fit it and it had 2 major faults
1 it wouldnt line up to the holes at the engine
2 it didnt fit the turbo
the holes were miles out
i sent it back to them to be told they will fix it (bearing in mind it took months to arrive in the first place i said no thanks)
after lots of calls later dave finally agreed to exchange it for a set of coilovers then he decided he wasnt doing this till he fixed and sold my manifold

i gave them the benefit of the doubt and agreed .weeks went buy and after another load of calls dave and alan told me the coilovers were on their way
another few weeks went buy and no coilovers i called again to be told "sorry mate there is a delay they will be with you next week"
next week came and no coilovers i called again (by this point i was getting ready to go to japan for a month) dave at dp told me "no probs mate when you get back they will be here waiting for you"
a month later i got back called dp and was told they will be with me next week
next week came and you guessed it no coilovers so i called
dp told me they were ordered so i called the supplier and they told me they weren,t ordered at all
i called alan at dp motorsport again and asked why they were telling porkies
numerous calls and arguments later they told me to go and buy the coilovers and they would refund me by a chq so i did
finally after another load of calls the chq did turn up and yes you guessed it bounced !
after the holiday new year period i called again and some new guy answered the phone telling me he owned the company now but he would sort it out he told me to call back next week so i did
he took my details and told me he would post me a chq and
you are right no chq arrived so i called again and was told this time to f@ck off in a very aggresive tone and not to call them again

please note this is the cut down version it goes on longer but im just trying to let you all know what this company are like the will lie and lie and lie ..there are plenty other good tuners out there who will not con you

Last edited by a moderator:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm not sure that this is the place for this argument.

There is quite obviously a difference of opinion here, and I don't think this solves it.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

I wont say to much bob and you are right to a extent,but wouldnt it be good for the pulsar to get the recognition it deserves and compete in the time attack series and you never no it could even surprise a few people and bring the status of the car back up to where it belongs.

all too little to late dave, these cars are old metal now and they will ever get recognition even if they were to do well in time attack or any other proper racing series come to that.

they simply are what they are (and that being a failed rally car compared to others of their day)
they are only as good as each individual makes them but that still will not give them recognition compared to the likes of scoobies, evos, skylines etc that have been there and cut the mustard so to speak.

the gtir imho will always be just an underdog.....if it does well in some form of motorsport then it will be mainly the driver and team that gets credit and not the car itself.
lets face it, its never gonna be an intergrale or cosworth as it has no heritage in motorsport and it will never have.

but the above is not to say i dont love the oogly little piles of shite :lol: but they will never recieve recognition no matter what they do!

Mad

Interesting comments.

Here is a question.

What is the quickest 2.0 litre Jap Road Legal car over the quarter mile?

Maybe the GTiR has or could have the record????

Any suggestions or known times?

Mad

Im a bit out of touch with the records but if you look at all the TOTB top cars, they have engines starting at 2.2 / 2.3 going upwards.

Surely if a GTiR could get into the 9's with a 2.0 litre engine next year that has got to be right up there.

Ive been speaking to Craig and he has got some pretty big plans for next year which is fantastic for the club.