tick on half throttle

S

samellio

seem to be getting a tick on half throttle as boost comes in but dissapears on full or light throttle like a gasket is blowing but just had all the turbo/manifold gaskets done :?
Any ideas?

J

jiw

does it sound like a cricket???

i had this strange noise, i took all the ancilleries off to replace my oil pump, put the car back together and it has dissapeared now, are your belts overtightened at all? could be applying too much side load on your alternator bearings etc, jeff.

B

Boxster Basher

chapping noise

Sorry mate. You probably don't want to hear this but does the tappy noise only come when you are keeping a constant speed. It does not sound on acceleration/deceleration. At first it sounds like a chain rattle as if the chain could be fouling something. If so these are symptoms that I had fairly recently.

See post
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=16985&highlight=chapping

Turned out top be big-ends. Best bet is get it checked out soon before doing any more damage than it has already.

S

samellio

thanks for the replys chaps...
Pretty sure it's nothing serious as it is only audible when boost is building..
Doesn't do it at constant speed or if foot is on floor but just when half throttle :? .. don't think it could be anything to do with the belts as they aren't affected by boost..
:?:
Probably just being paranoid but i can definately hear something :?

GTiR_Mic

I had a chapping noise on my old engine (1.6) and it was the big ends. The noise only started as night and the next day on the way to the garge the conrod came right through the block.

Sorry if i make it seem worse than it is mate.

Michael

S

samellio

Mic - my moise has been there for ages so fingers crossed it's not the big ends :wink:
Geetee- :lol: :lol:

B

Boxster Basher

Annoying Ticking Noise

Yup, so did I.

I had no choice but to run the damn car. Don't boost too much. When you hear the turbo whine kickin' in thats more than enough. I was fine when moving at pace.

The telltale sign with me seemed to be when you get a slight surging feeling when pulling away.

Hopefully this is not the case. But DO get it checked out. A visual can be done with the sump pan removed.

Duplicate posts deleted for you - FAST GUY

B

Boxster Basher

Duplicate Posts

Thanks for deleting the duplicate posts Fast Guy!