theft devices

P

pulsarboby

just a little tip for you chaps regarding getting your motors nicked!
if you have to leave it on the road, go get yourself a snap off steering boss which can be sourced on ebay for £15
this is better than any alarm etc, car cant be driven without a steering wheel can it;-)
just remove steering wheel everytime you lock car up of a night!

also fit a hidden switch under dash somewhere on an inline circuit to either ignition or to starter solenoid, this is best as starter will not turn unless you activate switch.

these things cost peanuts but are the best anti theft devices, along with an alarm sticker in the window.
yet people spend hundreds of pounds on alarm systems, that quite frankly aint worth a light, as no one takes any notice of a car alarm going off these days.

thats bobby's tip of the day chaps n girls:lol:

Braveheart

The late nighters... some even trying to sleep in the car... :p
I bought a couple of wireless Internet video cameras last year, just after somebody stole my trials bike.:doh: BTW, the police bad the bike after 30mins.... good job!

Anyway, these cameras are great. You can log on from anywhere except your fridge, unless you have the latest modle and you will get live footage.
In security mod, it will aiutmatically send email alerts and / or video clips upon motion detection. They even have a mic! If nothing else, you could play it back to your insurance company.... lol.

maz

ive thought about the snap off steering wheel, but i get paranoid at the thought of driving with it, and im sure a couple of experienced theives would be able to mock up something to steer the car to their nearest lock up. i like the switch idea tho!

MORF114

Good switch one i saw was just a reed switch which immobilised your car and you could put it anywhere you liked and just swiped the metal part which deactivated the switch, mounted wherever you wanted to put it and only you the owner knew where it was very cheap and easy to make .(just dont tell anyone where it is or put it in a obvious place so people can see you deactivating it)

Last edited:
O

Odin

On my old 260Z I had 3 nondescript little switches in the centre consul, And you had to have all 3 in the right position, Their where 3 positions on each switch, Not overly hard to beat granted but you would first have to identify them as a security device in the first place, Then waste even more time trying to find the right combo ;-) .

Most people that tried to beat it took at least 10 minutes to work it out, And that was with me telling them what they did in the first place, A car thief would need a lot longer just to find the bl00dy things 8) .

Rob

paz

Appatently you can get around the steering wheel being taken off pretty easily just using some form of clamp. Might not be true but thats what I hear.

As mentioned above, if I wanted to really secure the car I'd probably get an immobilser switch wired in somewhere completely random or hidden!

Paz

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Removable steering wheel hubs are great. I got one from the states mainly to bring the wheel closer to me as I find the standard setup is too far away for my arms or too close for my legs. It also means you can whizz it off when working around the dash and when mapping on the laptop for extra space. In terms of safety, my momo hub was misaligned and stuck on. the solution was to whack the steering wheel with a piece of wood and a lump hammer. The removable hub had zero play before AND after but pull the release and it comes straight off.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

turblio said:
I have the latest snap off steering wheel on mine and it has no areas to clamp on it

no neither as mine, thats why there a good theft device, the best i think!

GTiR_Mic

turblio said:
I have the latest snap off steering wheel on mine and it has no areas to clamp on it
What kind did you get?

I have an older style of snap off steering wheel and looking to change it.

Mic

P

pulsarboby

Garef said:
not wanting to sound like a complete dumbo brain, but how difficult is it to wire up a switch. Cheers.
simple
just find the solenoid wire on your ign switch, (think its the third one round)
cut it before the ignitin and come off it with 2 pieces of wire (one either side) to a 2 way switch, one in and one out!
so effectively its a continuation of the wire which is broken by a switch.
it is best to take it off solenoid (starter) wire, as the car will not crank over unless you flick the switch.
but if you take it off ignition curcuit, you may forget to activate switch so the car will still crank over, but will not start, and you could end up with a flat battery, before you realise:der: i havent activated switch!

P

pulsarboby

gotta give it to you rob:thumbsup: that is 2 of the funniest vids ive ever seen posted on here, absolutely top class:yo:

scott b

also on subject, those gear locking devices that lock the car in gear, we had one of and the imboliser bypassed in 60 minutes on a pulsar, so yeah totaly agree hidden switchs etc are the way forward