The current gtir market

Caz

The gtir is a funny old girl, personally for me it's one of those cars you always wanted, you got one, or more than one in my case, and even when you sell up and move on they'll always hold a place in your heart and you'll always check the classifieds and dabble in the forums.

Ive been watching eBay for the last week, and the cars that have had auctions finish have quite a few people bidding on them. I was amazed about 2-3 years ago at how low the prices of gtirs have gone but more shocked at the sheer rusted mess most of these cars have become. It's getting on for 15 years since I first got involved with the model. Values seem to be on the up for the better stuff, but even the crap seems to be paused at the 1500 mark?

Been thinking lately about looking for something to occupy my empty garage. I don't have the cash forwhat Id class as a really good example, nor tbh the desire to spend it if I did. But these cars are getting very rare now, even scarier is the fact that parts for them seem so readily available, moreso than the actual availability of complete motors!

Was thinking about getting a project rather than a complete car. Since my daughters birth the time available to spend on my car hobby, a hobby getting on for what seems like forever now, has become non existent, I don't even wash my daily much!

I need something I can pick up and put down as when I can be chewed, but something that actually means something to me but will also have a meaningful value in a few years time.

From what I can gather a car with a popped engine/box or engineless, seem fairly cheap and what's essentially a complet 'rolling shell' might be a good prospect. Do these appear much, any around? Or are most simply stripped for spares altogether?

bensmith907

I have a non rolling shell that you can have for free if you wish. Its white with good inner arches and slight bubbling on the outers. I was going to start it as my own project but work has recently got manic and I have enough problems with my other gtir to justify building it.

STU666V

Vssirvine or redreding may have something too? Bobbytune is looking to sell up too with a clean shell.

Georges Dad

The gtir is a funny old girl, personally for me it's one of those cars you always wanted, you got one, or more than one in my case, and even when you sell up and move on they'll always hold a place in your heart and you'll always check the classifieds and dabble in the forums.

Ive been watching eBay for the last week, and the cars that have had auctions finish have quite a few people bidding on them. I was amazed about 2-3 years ago at how low the prices of gtirs have gone but more shocked at the sheer rusted mess most of these cars have become. It's getting on for 15 years since I first got involved with the model. Values seem to be on the up for the better stuff, but even the crap seems to be paused at the 1500 mark?

Been thinking lately about looking for something to occupy my empty garage. I don't have the cash forwhat Id class as a really good example, nor tbh the desire to spend it if I did. But these cars are getting very rare now, even scarier is the fact that parts for them seem so readily available, moreso than the actual availability of complete motors!

Was thinking about getting a project rather than a complete car. Since my daughters birth the time available to spend on my car hobby, a hobby getting on for what seems like forever now, has become non existent, I don't even wash my daily much!

I need something I can pick up and put down as when I can be chewed, but something that actually means something to me but will also have a meaningful value in a few years time.

From what I can gather a car with a popped engine/box or engineless, seem fairly cheap and what's essentially a complet 'rolling shell' might be a good prospect. Do these appear much, any around? Or are most simply stripped for spares altogether?
I'm in a similar position myself a kid with another one on the way (this month!) and i've had two gtirs in the past and I am still obsessed over them for some reason. I'm even trying to kill my interest in cars full stop by driving a 1.1 mitsubishi colt with a corolla for the family wagon, both very dull but do the job.

I've been looking at buying a shell and building one up but the petrol would run out before I finished it an all honesty

Caz

I have a non rolling shell that you can have for free if you wish. Its white with good inner arches and slight bubbling on the outers. I was going to start it as my own project but work has recently got manic and I have enough problems with my other gtir to justify building it.
Thats unbelievably kind of you. Your a very long way from me though, and I idealy want a near complete shell, rolling, so I can move it, and I'm not searching around for little missing bits and pieces.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I recommend a project car for the garage. Mine doesn't seem to do anything but saves me shed loads of money but not needing to insure, tax, mot and fuel it. A bonus is it annoys the mother in line and helps keep the family's rubbish out of my man cave.

red reading

Do you have any pics or more info?

I will take pics, the car needs a clutch and the top end needs shimming I also think the oil pump has issues as the oil pressure is inconsistent when the engine is warm (big and main bearing will need doing too) but the engine is not knocking yet. There is a 20p size of rust on the rear arch but no other rust and underneath the car is immaculate and so is the interior. Put it like this if it doesn't go I will be doing the car and selling for 5.5k next year it's in that good condition.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I recommend a project car for the garage. Mine doesn't seem to do anything but saves me shed loads of money but not needing to insure, tax, mot and fuel it. A bonus is it annoys the mother in line and helps keep the family's rubbish out of my man cave.
Not time to start tinkering in it yet ;)