the 12k gtir

whytie

When I first looked at gtirs there was about 40-50 on pistonheads. Now there is around 7 or 8. With such few numbers I'm sure prices will rise in the future.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
When I first looked at gtirs there was about 40-50 on pistonheads. Now there is around 7 or 8. With such few numbers I'm sure prices will rise in the future.
Was talking about this today, even last week at knockhill my R was the only one there, the last few times ive been its been the same case although there was a white one on track.
unless something dramatic happens like what happened to the integrale (top gear voted it best car ever made and they trebled in price overnight) or is chosen as a car in tv / film, then I have to agree with what other people are saying and that theres not a huge demand for them. As great as they are we seem to be the only people who realise that

but thats a good thing though right?

Born Again

Numbers remaining and demand aren't always connected.
Just because the cars are thin on the ground doesn't mean the prices will rise.

Last edited:

Fire & skill

Vintage member
Numbers remaining and demand aren't always connected.
Just because the cars are thin on the ground doesn't mean the prices will rise.
but once supply drops below demand, then we MAY see an increase in prices. Although a lot have gone to the great big scrapyard in the sky and have donated parts so others could live, there is still a few dogs out there. people have this whole attitude that they can get an R for £1500 but wont buy a good one for £4000.

£4000 is NOT a lot of money for a good R.

Born Again

but once supply drops below demand, then we MAY see an increase in prices. Although a lot have gone to the great big scrapyard in the sky and have donated parts so others could live, there is still a few dogs out there. people have this whole attitude that they can get an R for £1500 but wont buy a good one for £4000.

£4000 is NOT a lot of money for a good R.
Oh I totally agree that prices may rise by a small amount, and that you're right that a relatively small sum of money circa £4k is indeed small beans for a good example of a car that's pretty competant even in standard form. My point was that I'd bet heavily that these cars will never become an ever increasing asset. They may be getting rarer but they're also getting older. Even the youngest examples are around 18 years old and unless you specifically want an "R" (and we've established that such people are in very short supply) then there are other more modern choices for a buyer searching for a performance car.

Last edited:

johnny gtir

pistonheads has chaged with its advertising hence less of all types of car on there

johnny gtir

Again worth mentioning is the gtir was always worth more than its rivals,you could pick up a sapphire cosworth in the late 1990's for £800 were as a gtir was more like £14,000.prices only started dropping with the influx of grey imports.
Also think some owners are also to blame they buy a £1500 shitter expect it to be reliable when it's not they moan about it on almost every forum

Rob
100% buy the car wack the boost up buy cheap shit parts inc bits that are not needed at the time something goes wrong no money to fix it due to spending it on shiny show parts sell it on damaged for less or fu+ked the next person dose not spend on it properly or realises it is not right leaves it standing outside loses interest before you know it a £4000 car is for sale less than half that or is sold in bits

red reading

I think the fact that because the GTiR is still a relatively unknown car to all but the avid petrolhead, the prices will still only fluctuate slightly. Supply and demand dictate the price and there's not much demand when compared to other (and IMHO less remarkable) cars. IIRC pulsarboby said a while back that these cars are worth more and sell faster in parts than as complete cars. That's not a sign of an in demand and appreciating vehicle.

So when did double the value become a fluctuation? The only country that puts these cars down is the uk, the cars go for between 9 and 12,000 euro in most other parts of Europe.
and having sold a few I can tell you that the prices are rising.

There is demand for the cars, they have to be good non rusty or tuned up , basically standard cars......of which most of the cars about or being broken are not.

Doug

Just seen an r on eBay up for £12,500
think he is trying is luck, but as has been said it is completely standard and looks pretty mint.
It's people like that that will push the price up.

Mad

It is only beneficial that the price of our cars is going upwards.

The worry is though if prices are advertised too high, prospective buyers will be put off and buy the likes of Evo's and Scoobies which are very cheap now and this will result in fewer car sales which leads to more GTiR's being broken. We want the GTiR to be an all time classic, not extinct. I think a steady increase in value is better for all of us in the long run.