Tein Coilovers or Meister

Hi guys,

I don't know how it happened but I managed to pick up some brand new unused and unopened Tein coilovers with top mounts very very cheap. I do need new suspension all round but was advised that Meister are v good. So now I'm thinking I could sell the Teins and get Meisters instead and have a bit of change left over. Any advice?

keastygtir

I have bought the meisters because of good reviews on other cars. I haven't fitted them yet but they certainly look the part

Mine is running Tein, do everything I need for tearing around but I suppose its personal choice with setup and what you are going to use the car for.

KieranEG6

I would sell and buy some Meisters.

Teins seem to be well tried and tested to be difficult to work with. From the Tein super streets I had on my civic, I was never happy with them. Crashy over damped. Stiffer rear springs helped but I was far from happy with the setup. Although that was the Super streets so pretty much budget end of Tein. Higher end models to tend to get better reviews but I would assume that would be from mainly track focused cars.

Meister Rs seem to be well rounded, a lot more suited to a wider variety of conditions and surfaces.

What Teins do you have?

Mr B

Meister R are much the same as all the Taiwan dampers, okay if must go coilover ! & get on deal of less than £600 & get slightly softer spring ratings if mainly using on road over track as they awful on uk roads & a handling downgrade in the wet & cold.
Best options are sell the Teins & get Bilstein cartridge conversion in OEM housing or look at used Ohlins GABs if on budget ...

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Meister R are much the same as all the Taiwan dampers, okay if must go coilover ! & get on deal of less than £600 & get slightly softer spring ratings if mainly using on road over track as they awful on uk roads & a handling downgrade in the wet & cold.
Best options are sell the Teins & get Bilstein cartridge conversion in OEM housing or look at used Ohlins GABs if on budget ...
What he said....

What Teins do you have?[/QUOTE]

image.jpg

SS, been chatting to Tein about recon, they want £220 a corner so I'm deciding whether to keep or change myself at the moment

keastygtir

I am sure you are right but I was convinced to buy the meisters because of all the feedback on them from other car forums that suggested they were a lot better than the normal D2 or K-sport etc. not saying they would be better than what Mr B has suggested but hopefully they will be better than the above coilovers

Thanks for all the input.

Looks as though most of the makes have positive and negative reviews so I suppose it comes down to personal preference. I remember my cousin had Teins on his R back in the day and they seemed fine. Maybe I should try them on myself before deciding whether to sell or not. In the worst case I can just swap them for another make, perhaps Meisters or GABs. Will see.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

The meisters are the same quality as bc and d2, they use the same ching chong tube and parts, with different valving.

They may feel a bit better for the road, but the quality of parts used is no different from all the other cheap crap, the reason a few have rated the meisters on there is because they've basically been sponsored/given a set cheap in return for good feedback, to sprinters.., or they Couldn't afford decent stuff so justify their purchase, way of the world i'm afraid...

Don't be fooled, if you read all the other threads on their about them the other traders show they're just the same old chinese crap.

Last edited:
I spoke to Whifbitz when they had my R for some work and they suggested the Mesiters having had a few Rs themselves for track use. They rated them better than BC and some of the others. Too bad Nismos are virtually non-existent now :(

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

You're better off looking at who uses them, as opposed to selling them...

As said, they may feel better on the road due to valving, but they are still mass produced chinese crap the same as the rest, longevity is the key.

Meister actually use the same body for there 600 quid china specials, as they do in their 1500 quid R versions...

keastygtir

Well, I hope that they turn out ok. I will be doing an extensive thread on mine when I fit them. Then we can have an impartial and proper idea. I would like to say I have no special deal or in any way sponsored by them

Mr B

they all the same short stroked & done to death budget coilovers, BC & Meister R probably the 2 that offered a little more especially if purchased at promo prices. it budget low cost low engineered low developed kit.
For track on the R they can work with effort in setup & used mainly as minimal options unless x3 the budget , On an Evo I would not even contemplate using them.
On road long term use they a disaster in performance & durability.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What are the spring rates on the Teins you have and the Meisters you're looking at? What do you plan to do with the car?

Empty Pockets

Well, I hope that they turn out ok. I will be doing an extensive thread on mine when I fit them. Then we can have an impartial and proper idea. I would like to say I have no special deal or in any way sponsored by them
With all due respect, what decent suspension have you also used to base your opinions off ?

This is the reason these cheap kits get half decent reviews, people are comparing them to worn out 100'000 mile old, 10 years and older used oem stuff, and as said before, people justyfing their purchase.

keastygtir

you make a valid point. I will make this consideration when I do the write up. From my other threads on here you will see that it was my preference not to have coilovers but because of a lack of anything else in my budget I went with them. I admit I will probably be a bad choice to evaluate them because of the reason you stated above. However if they don't fall apart in a year and give reasonable performance I suppose they will achieved what I want out of them.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I assume these are the ones you're looking at?Nissan Pulsar GTI-R (RNN14) - MeisterR High Performance Suspension & Coilovers

Depends what springs you have on the Teins and the difference in cost for changing to the Meister R. These look closer to BC's than the Tein SS in terms of design. I have the Tein SS on my car and with a spring swap they're fine though they are an old design. The original Tein used a 4/3 setup which is more front grip biased than standard. I went to a 5/4 to increase the front balance. The Meister R's use a 6/4 so will be stiffer but have the same understeer biased characteristics as standard (3/2).

I don't know what driving you want to do or how much time you want to spend setting them up but you might find both work for general hooning around.

None are amazing but all are potentially better than a 20 year old 100,000Km OEM setup