Strong smell of fuel

JasonR

Hi there is a very stong smell of fuel coming from the back left of the engine bay the smell also comes through the air vents, iv had a look at the injectors and fuel filter they all seem ok iv not had a look at the fuel lines dont know which way they run, could they be at fault? is there anywhere else i should be looking? any help would be great. Cheers Jason

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Do you still have the carbon canister? If not you might be smelling the tank venting.

When you say back left; do you mean from inside the car (i.e. where the carbon canister is/was), or do you mean from outside looking at the engine bay (i.e. over where the master cylinder is)?

JasonR

Yes iv still got the carbon cansiter, i ment from looking outside the car at the engine bay sorry should of made it clearer. cheers Jason

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
That's odd; I'm pretty sure that the fuel lines run down the right side of the floor pan (as you look at it from the road) between the box section and the recess for the prop shaft. I can't see any reason why there should be fuel anywhere near the left side of the engine bay. - The only thing over that side is the No 1 injector, and you've already checked that... a leak from the bottom of the manifold (I'm clutching at straws here)?

Definitely fuel, not power steering fluid or brake fluid? Those could all be coming from that side of the engine bay.

JasonR

il have another look at the injectors as i only had a quick look last time so could of missed a leak, yeah its definelty fuel i can smell. Cheers Jason

dazzagtir

I had the exact same problem with my R and it turned out to be a leaky injector, The small 0 ring knackered up and was leaking fuel slowly. Did stink tho.
Darrell

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Which one; top or bottom? - There's an O-ring kit for it I'm sure; do you have part numbers?