Stripping sound deadening....

houghy_1

Just a quick question, what has been the tried an tested best way of stripping all the sound deadening out of the R?? Including the tarry residue that's left.
I'm currently stripping my new shell for a ,hopefully, full restore job and will b used as a track toy eventually.

bracpan

If not its the heat gun and scraper then acetone for whats left...good luck its a lovely job but I had 2 tesco carry bags of the stuff and it weighed about the same as 2 bags of shopping..

houghy_1

Thanks Phil nd rich.
I made a little start on the rear wheel arch just to test with a screwdriver and a hammer and it did come off in chunks but also left the tarry crap behind.
I've heard needle scalers are quite useful??

grim_d

Most of it will chip away then use scotchbrite and some thinners or panel wipe to remove the residue. It comes off quite easy.

watoga

Yes, I've also heard that freeze spray followed by hitting with a hammer works quite well. Something like this:

[video=youtube;ivcZWhHhnrU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivcZWhHhnrU[/video]

Personally, I just used a chisel to break off the majority of it. Then to remove the little hard black bits of tar I covered the floor in thinners and scraped off with a screwdriver.

The real PITA ones are the buildups on the rear suspension turrets. I STILL haven't managed to get them all off yet.............. :cry:

Dave