Strange ticking noise from front wheel drivers side

Perrin21

When driving i have noticed an annoying ticking noise coming from the front drivers side wheel. I have tried coasting and the noise is still there. Could it be a wheel bearing? I have had tyres fit recently and nothing was flagged up on recent MOT. Any suggestions? it gets faster with speed etc. tap tap tap tap.

Trondelond

Ticking - it couldn't be a little stone wedged in the tread?
I had some ticking after fitting my APs, but that turned out to be the balancing weights barely touching the caliper. Don't know what brakes/wheels you have. :)

Trondelond

I would describe the bearings as more of a thudding/scraping/rumbling type sound, so there's probably something small catching somewhere. Have you tried jacking it up and spinning the wheel?

Perrin21

I would describe the bearings as more of a thudding/scraping/rumbling type sound, so there's probably something small catching somewhere. Have you tried jacking it up and spinning the wheel?
Not yet but i will be on saturday. Thats a relief though :) sounds cheap :)

snoon

HA - All your posts make me chuckle.

Your next post will be - slight wind noise on motorway :)

Face facts - You've bought a 20 year old tin box - Your going to get loads of crappy/annoying noises - Just wait until your roof bars come loose - that's very annoying!!

Geo3

Check split pin on the end of cv joint. If it's not secured tight it can give you symptoms your suggesting

Perrin21

HA - All your posts make me chuckle.

Your next post will be - slight wind noise on motorway :)

Face facts - You've bought a 20 year old tin box - Your going to get loads of crappy/annoying noises - Just wait until your roof bars come loose - that's very annoying!!
Dont be silly lol, im a realist. im used to spending money on it. It sounds like a push bike when rolling though with the ticking. Im not going to ignore it incase its something serious. Funny you mention motorway noise, u remind me i need some door seals lmfao.

Last edited:

danr

get your tracking checked. had similar after changing arms and cv. thinking tracking was so off was pushing something out on hub (or tyres were flicking back off road, something odd), kept ticking. have your tyres scrubbed on edges majorly? another option if all else fails.

Perrin21

get your tracking checked. had similar after changing arms and cv. thinking tracking was so off was pushing something out on hub (or tyres were flicking back off road, something odd), kept ticking. have your tyres scrubbed on edges majorly? another option if all else fails.
the tyres have only been on for a day so impossible to say, however with the old tyres in place it still ticked

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Easy, the bent metals plate on the back of the hub. If the discs are over-sized it would have been bent or chopped so that it doesn't foul them.

red reading

drive shaft loose,brake pipe touching a internal wheel weight? chiped race on the wheel bearing,c v joint on its way..............the list goes on

Trondelond

True story. When I went for my first long drive with mine, I had to stop and call the seller at some point regarding all the weird noises. Now I just live with them. :D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
True story. When I went for my first long drive with mine, I had to stop and call the seller at some point regarding all the weird noises. Now I just live with them. :D
I also used to worry about what they might be... but after a while I thought "the wheel hasn't fallen off", so now I just turn the stereo up so that I can't hear them.

Trondelond

Heh, that actually almost was the case with me, the 3" exhaust was so loud, I couldn't hear the wheel bearing failing. When I finally discovered it I was amazed that it hadn't fallen to bits. Everything had a lovely gold colour from the heat and whatnot.

Perrin21

i think ive found it, theres some small metal clips inside the wheel hub that rattle. Any suggestions how to shut them up?