stiff clutch pedal

nitrosgti-r

I am the proud owner of a black gti-r with nitros. I am new to the gti-r's and turbo cars so don't know a great deal about them, only that it goes like stink!! My problem is that the clutch pedal is really really stiff. Would it be the cable? Or is it more serious?

Thanks for the advice, i think i need it as my foot is killing me.

MarkTurbo

They have a hydraulic clutch, not a cable :wink: So it isnt that :lol:

Has it got an uprated clutch fitted? If so what make is it?

J

Jonny H

my clutch pedal is as stiff as fook! Its most probably an uprated clutch matey so i wouldnt worry too much about it! I have a Nismo clutch in mine.

O

Odin

If it's that stiff it's prob an HKS paddle clutch because mine was like that too :wink:

rob

A

AZ STE

Watch the standard hydraulic cable where it fits to the slave cylinder that tends to be the first thing to fail .Pedal and clutch will be ok but make sure you have the clutch support bracket :wink:

G

GTiRich

Easily solved. Go down the fucking gym and work out!!!!!!

geetee

You may want to check that the clutch release arm / lever is in good condition and greased up.

Otherwise as above ^^^ no pain no gain :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

nitrosgti-r

clutch

I went to my local car boffs after work today and he said what you lot said, that its brobably a heavy duty uprated clutch. But surly it isn't ment to be that stiff? I checked the arm on top of the bell houseing, which i think is the clutch leaver arm? And it does seem to be a little....dry when i pulled the rubber boot back, should i stick some greese in there? I also noticed that the pipe going into the unit (assume to be the master cylinder) above the bell housing, just above the clutch leaver arm has a bit of wetish oil around it as if it may have been leaking at some stage, i think this was what AZ STE was saying about. So what is this clutch support bracket and what does it do?

All help muchly appriciated :lol:

daz

i can see here that the info is going in but not being registered :lol: :lol: the unit on your gearbox is your slave cylinder for the clutch and no you dont have to grease it as its hydraulic and has its own oil and it will be dry because its sealed. secondly the clutch pedal bracket is an upgrade for the oem clutch bracket in your cabin under the dashboard as the standard bracket seems to break when you have a heavy clutch in the car. but if the slave cylinder is wet ie with oil then check to make sure that the bleed nipple is tight and not leaking or that could affect your clutch operation ok 8)

geetee

stop being tw@ts the lot of you.

The guy's asked a genuine question.

It probably is just a heavy clutch... paddle etc.

A fluid leak generally does not give stiff feeling, if anything the pedal goes down easier but you cannot get it into gear as the clutch is not engaged.

The clutch bracket mentioned is to strengthen the support of the clutch pedal. The R has the standard Sunny clutch pedal box / frame which tends to crack in time with the R's slightly heavier clutch.

The bracket fastens the box to the steering column to stop it flexing.

Again, if the pedal box has gone, the pedal will be on the floor and you won't be able to engage any gear.

How stiff is this clutch?? Maybe you are a 9 stone chav drug snorting weakling? Or perhaps one of the springs on the clutch plate has come loose and wedged itself somewhere it shouldn't.

Find a nearby R owner who doesn't talk out his arse and se what they think :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

A

AZ STE

For Clutch pedal support bracket look uner buying selling section .This is a must buy if you havent one fitted esp with an aftermarket clutch.Just keep an eye on the crimped end of the clutch hose if it gets any worse ie oil runs back down the hose onto the bell housing replace it. :wink:

nitrosgti-r

Clutch

cheers for that advice there geetee. I will say that i am not a chav though, just a bit thick some times thats all lol!!

Any ways, the clutch is quite stiff and i would say im not a weakling and i would go with the clutch bracket suggestion because when the clutch is down it does seem to not find first gear etc, unless pushed right to the floor. This seems a very fesable suggestion and i will get onto it right away :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

geetee

Hey there are no stupid questions only stupid answers 8)

And there are too many people on this forum of late who forget that and that they too once only just bought an R :evil:

Crunching into 1st could be indicative of a few things.

The fact you have clutch fluid weeping around your slave cylinder may be a good indication of the problem. Have you checked the fluid level in the resevoir? Too low and the clutch won't engage properly and crunch.

Also you may have deteriorated seals in the master and/or slave cylinders... this won't leak externally but the fluid pushes past back the seals so not enough pressure to engage the clutch. What colour is the clutch fluid in the resevoir. Good sign of knackered seals is black / discoloured clutch fluid.

It is a false economy to get cylinder seal / overhaul kits as both the piston and cylinder will undoubtably be worn and it will be a short term answer. Get new assemblies completely if you do it at all. And when your pissing around with it get a new hose fitted too, it ain't worth the aggro of going back in there to do just the hose at a later date.

Could also be the synchro to 1st gear. Unless you are a mechanic this ain't going to be cheap. And again if you're having the gearbox off and stripped, find a good place and get them to check for anything that is worn and replace it at the same time. In the long term a wise investment.

Clutch Pedal bracket - get one, fit it yourself £10 well spent.

On another note, mine often refuses to go into 1st gear when at a standstill and I have to double-de-clutch 2 or 3 times before it will. Been like that for 2 years - no worse now - just look like a tw@t at traffic lights sometimes trying to find a gear :lol:

Post back when you find out what the prob is / was.

Good Luck

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

youngsyp

geetee said:
A fluid leak generally does not give stiff feeling, if anything the pedal goes down easier but you cannot get it into gear as the clutch is not engaged.
This is true but, when I changed my clutch hose, which was leaking, the clutch became lighter. This could be down to various reasons but, if it needs changing then, you'll soon find out if this is the cause. If you do go done this route, try to get a braided hose, as the feel is a lot better. These were floating around on ebay a while ago but, Goodridge may do them now !

daz

sorry but i wasnt being a twat lol i gave genuine information basically exactly what you said geetee lol :roll:

nitrosgti-r

clutch

Ok on closer inspection tonight:

There is deffo a leak in the pipe (not a big one) and the fluid is a blackish of dis-colour and its half way between max and Min. I think i would be right in saying that it is the seals/master cylinder. Any ideas how much one would be and where i could get one? could i do it my self? Im good with a spanner but instruction (with pics lol) would be good? i would like to this job propper, along with every thing else i am going to do on me new R and a decent clutch would be just the job!!!