Sticking rear brake

John

Done a search but never came up with any answers so I guess here is the place to ask.

Basically my R has been sitting in my drive for 3 weeks as the big end has went on it. Today I re-connected battery etc and got it running again as work commences next week.

However braking performance was terrible and after looking at every disc on the car the rear passengers side is clearly not working as the rust is still on the disc from sitting in my driveaway whereas the rest are as you would expect for working brakes silver with no rust present.

Any suggestions people, hope it isnt something costly as im starting to loose the plot!

N

nellypayton

has your caliper ceased ...maybe? just ask someone to press the brake and have a look for movement.

John

nellypayton said:
has your caliper ceased ...maybe? just ask someone to press the brake and have a look for movement.
That was my thought anyway just didnt know how to solve it if it were the case? Altho brake was working before car was off the road and released no problem as handbrake was on so who knows.

mattytappy

If your rubber seal has perished it may have leaked in water and seized it up...doesnt take long for rain to rust up shiny stuff....if its not moving you need to extract the pads out and give it a gentle tap, and i dont mean smash it till it moves just enough to free it with a hammer and something long enough to just give it a little tap, then with some long nose pliers put them in the groves in the front of the piston caliper face and give them a turn both clockwise and then anti clockwise to free it off...hope this helps

N

nellypayton

have you bled your brakes there might be air in the pipe or bleed the caliper?

PULSGTI-R

if it is stuck then take it away from the holder and have someone pumpin the brake so the piston comes out (dont pump it 2 far otherwise you wont get the piston back in) then spray inside the rubber with WD40 (make sure the rubber aint split) and wind the piston back inn (will need a piston wind back tool for this right hand thread) do this about 4-5times until its free theres no guarantee this will last but might as well try

John

nellypayton said:
have you bled your brakes there might be air in the pipe or bleed the caliper?
Nope havent toached the brakes atol.

Matty, I dont really understand what your trying to say whatwith never having worked on a set of brakes before in my life :doh:. If you had photos of what your trying to explain then it would make life so much easier!

Another issue is I cant take the alloy off as I dont have the security nut removal tool as the previous owner lost it. I dont really want to have to take it to a garage to be fixed but no doubt that be the way it goes.

N

nellypayton

try the bleeding part first just take the lid off your resovoir and pump the brake but make sure someone keeps an eye on your fluid. it might help but like pulsgti-r says dont over do it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
My sticky rear brake was cause by one of the caliper pins seized. Some penetrating oil and a spanner later and it was free. Just cleaned it up and put some grease on to keep it free. My car will roll down a hill now with the hand brake off.:lol:

johnsy

wot sort of condition are your pads in?

had similar problem just whipped wheel 0ff and caliper ,took pads out ,wind piston back in, i found using a soft jaw(nylon insert) pipe wrench to be the easiest route,pull seals back and apply some copper grease and work the sliding part until your happy its sliding freely popped me new pads in and bobs your uncle

mattytappy

im in the middle of re-furbing mine tommorow so i will take a few pics to explain what to do....you can use a brake tool to wind the caliper piston back in but a long nose pair of pliers works just as well....and replacing the seals isnt that bad of a job really....i will make it a bit of a how to guide...;-)