Start up/Run in Power FC map!

JU5TY

My car goes in to the machiners (who built my engine) Tuesday to be started, I desperately need a start up/run in map for my Power FC.

Sam the Dentist was going to write me one and email it, but I can’t get hold of him. I’ve got the datalogit kit, so can use a laptop to save/edit maps etc.

Anyone know any mapping experts who can write me a start up/run in map tailored to my spec before Tuesday? I don’t mind paying!

ashills

in all honesty mate the base on there should be fine just adjust to whatever maf and injectors u have on datalogit and take it from there

JU5TY

RC told me I couldn’t use the base map that comes on the Power FC, even with changing the injectors/AFM? But a few people on here use it don’t they? Just a bit worried what with all the time and money that’s gone into the engine.

Last edited:

JU5TY

Just read all the old FC threads on the forum and think I’m going to go with the base map.

So...

Sard 700cc Injectors I set injectors 1-4 at 57% +0.18ms (Settings 5 page on Datalogit software)

Z32 AFM is the VG30 (Settings 3 page on Datalogit software)

I've not got the boost module (got an AVCR) or a stock Lambda sensor (got a port for a wideband), so need to switch both off... In function Selection on Settings 1 page unclick 1.Boost Control Kit and 5. 02 F/B Control.

When I start it up run it for 10mins with no electrics and 10mins with the heated rear window on while it self learns. (I've removed the Air Con).

Is that everything, anything else I need to know/change?

I've got a Sard FPR, what pressure should that be set at?

Last edited:

Mad

I'll try and post a standard map for you later when I get on my other PC.

Mad

Just had a look at this, I can't think why you shouldn't be using the base map ? If you use the UK version base map, its supposedly a copy direct from a standard Nissan Ecu. The PowerFC Pro map is different, as its a lot more agressive top end, but even with that you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever starting and running.

GINGA

You can use the base map but back the timing off with the dizzy to 15 degrees (20 std) this will retard the timing by 5 degrees everywhere.
The pfc is setup for 100ron jap fuel so may be alittle to advanced for Uk fuel hence retarding the timing abit to air on the side of caution until mapped/checked.
Also get afr checked straight away as the injector settings are approx and any over fuelling at this early stage in the engines life could be very bad, eg bore wash= knackered rings/bores/pistons.

Last edited:

Mad

As far as I know there are two 'base' maps floating about for the PFC, one for the standard model and one for the Pro model. The Pro one ( which most of us have ) seems to be setup for Jap fuel as Ginga pointed out above. If you can get your hands on the UK / non-pro version, it is already backed off a good amount. Easier ( and safer ) to do what Ginga said though...

JU5TY

Yeah it is the Pro version, so I will retard the timing by 5 degrees with the dizzy and check the air/fuel ratio. Cheers for that guys, will let you know how tomorrow goes. :)

JU5TY

What a long day!

As expected there were a few teething problems to start with, slight water leak off one of turbo banjo’s which just needed tightening, also threads on the fpr needed sealing due to a slight fuel leak. Got fuel and oil pressure up etc.

RC's custom down pipe they made to meet the 5zigen Border 304 rear section didn’t even remotely match up, so had to make a small section to join the two which took time.

Car started first turn and ran so sweety! Was soooooo happy!
Although the car is running a tad rich on idle and a tad lean on revs @ 2,500rpm, I take it this would require alterations to the injector map table? Can anyone elaborate, I really want to broaden my knowledge of the datalogit software, even if I do leave it to the pro’s.

Anyway it was all going too well…! There is a problem with the clutch, its bading dragging! I’ve started a new thread on this for the OS Giken owners as would prefer to keep this one to mapping…

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39000

A

AJ4

If you have the datalogit software you can adjust the idle mixture quite easily ( if your still using the lambda sensor ). I think its on Settings 1, in the bottom right hand corner you can set the mixture setting for 'closed loop', ie idle and low RPM/Load. Its called "O2 Feedback".

http://www.gtiroc.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=737&c=36

To work out the value, you divide the stoichmetric <sp :D> ratio for the fuel your using by the AF ratio you want.

So for normal 97 unleaded, Sto is 14.7:1. If you wanted an AF ratio of 10:1 for example, the number you would put in the box would be 14.7/10 = 1.47.

The standard map seems to use a value of 1.047 which should give an AF ratio of 14.7 / 1.047 = 14.04. No idea why this is, as you would expect it to be exactly 1 ( ie an AF ratio of 14.7:1 )

Anyway, the point is you can fiddle this value up and down a bit to adjust the closed loop AF ratio.

( the values in the main injection table are the same, they are 'target' AF values. To find what they mean in real terms just divide them into 14.7. For example, a cell has a value of 1.27. This means at that point in the map the ECU is trying to make the AF ratio 14.7 / 1.27 = 11.6:1 ). A good starting map is to fill the table with the AF ratios that you would like, and then measure and adjust them to suit. If you adjust the fuel pressure or AFM curves you can move the whole map up or down and get it pretty close to what you want without changing a single cell ;) )

Its pretty easy to richen it up over small areas, just select the areas you want to increase and change them. Make sure that you change the surrounding cells a little bit as well so there is no sudden steps. For example, if I increase a cell by 0.5, I increase all the cells around it by 0.2 as well. Just makes it run a bit smoother.

Like everything though, you need to get it properly mapped with a wideband to be sure, the values in the injection table are only 'target' values, and could be miles off depending on what fuel pressure / injectors you are using etc.

My freind was running the base map on his power fc.
Standard maf, standard injectors, just 3071r turbo and tubular manifold.
Was running 20:1 afr on part throttle and 18:1 on full throttle when we put a wide band on it.
Nice?
On the other hand it somehow hadn't melted down up until the point where he took it out until he can map it/get it mapped.
To run anything like this you should really fork out the few extra quid for some sort of wideband kit.

Last edited:
A

AJ4

sounds like something aint working right then ( probably the lambda sensor ! ). I've never heard of a PFC owner yet complain its too lean, its always the opposite. The standard fuel map is taken from the standard Nissan ecu so it should be identical ? Maybe his PFC is knacked then.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
R called Jay said:
My freind was running the base map on his power fc.
Standard maf, standard injectors, just 3071r turbo and tubular manifold.
Was running 20:1 afr on part throttle and 18:1 on full throttle when we put a wide band on it.
Nice?

18:1 AFR at full throttle... Bye bye engine...:shock:

Rishi