Start Problem ..

Paul

This is going to be a bit of a long read but i'm at my wits end now!

I recently fitted an engine to my rolling shell that I bought and whatever I do it will not fire up.

It has new plugs, new dizzy cap and standard ht leads. There is enough petrol in it and as far as I can see everything seems to be connected properly. I just recently fitted new engine and battery looms bought from bobby and still no joy.

It seems to be that the fuel pump is not getting and power so when i go to start up you can hear the start motor going and the engine almost turning over. I have tried connecting a battery to the fuel pumps power supply and as soon as I do it starts pumping away, I then go to the engine bay and can here and feel the fuel pump through the pipes. Again, i try to start it and no joy!

I'm only an amateur mechanic at best so don't know what else I can do to try and sort this problem out. I have had the car at my cousins garage and he couldn't get it to start either.

It is a standard engine from a pulsar, the wiring loom is from a pulsar and the ecu is a standard uk one.

Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers,

P

pulsarboby

first things first
check to see whether you have fuel at the rail when ignition is turned on if not then run a 12v feed to liven the pump then see if you have fuel there then

have you got a spark at the plugs....if not then you may have the reverse light wired into the ignition circuit....i think its either the dizzy or coil is the exact same plug as reverse light and a mistake made by a few people now.

im not saying any more yet in order not to over complicate things but find out whats what with regard to fuel and spark then report back paul lol

Paul

Cheers for the help bobby, when ignition is turned on theres no fuel at the rail.. If I connect a 12v feed direct then fuel goes to the rail.. As far as im aware there is a spark as ive turned the ignition on whilst someone else has had the each ht lead unplugged and they have told me that its sparking?

P

pulsarboby

ok does it start with the pump wired when fuels at the rail?

P

pulsarboby

are you sure you have the fuel pipes the right way round on the rail?
the pipe from top of fuel filter goes to the straight pipe in, the other return comes back via the fpr!

is the injector resistor plug connected (metal shiny box at top of passenger turret)?
are the two earths connected to plenum top?
are ignition ht leads connected the correct way round? no1 is oil pump end
are all vacuum/boost hoses connected (no open ends)
make sure all the plastic multiplugs are connected and youve not left one loose, especially the big one on top of gearbox as that indirectly goes to injector resistor pack

after cranking the engine to try and start it remove the plugs to see if they are wet with fuel or dry!!

then report back lol

Paul

My car will be turning up on a trailer in about 20 mins so ill check then.. cheers for the laymans terms (metal shiny box) haha, it does help, believe me! Ill check on those things and report back.. sir!

Fusion Ed

If the fuel pump is not priming at all even with the ign first turned on then the ECU is not getting any power, i bet there is no spark either.

Paul

So if the ECU is not getting any power but its plugged in, could the ecu be fried or something?

P

pulsarboby

if its sparking it must be getting power ed....thats assuming it is as paul said!
could possibly be the green relay next to ecu thats unplugged/goosed or fuel pump relay has given up the ghost, but if its wired direct and has a spark then car should still fire up

Paul

Its definately sparking, Lilmark on here can vouch for that! Ill check what you have asked Bob and hopefully it'll spring into life.

Fusion Ed

okj sorry missed that.

If its sparking then the ECU is alive and the cas is working = good.

Pull out the plugs and pour a small spoonfull amount of fuel down eash plug hole and see if it runs for a second. If so then its 100% fuel system problem.

I would then check that all the injector plugs had 12V on one of the pins (plugs disconncted, ign on) and then go from there.

Does the car have an immobiliser?

Ed

skiddusmarkus

From the problems I had getting mine to start after being stood, it sounds like the fuel pump relay.I also had to have 2 injectors cleaned for it to run properly.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
The fuel pump relay might be one issue but Paul said in the first post he wired the pump directly to the battery and it wouldn't fire.

If your fuel pipes are pressurised then when you turn over you should get fuel in the cylinders. If you don't then your injectors may not be firing. If you are then it might be more of an ignition system.

As others are suggesting, you've probably got more than one small fault thats against you.

Dangerous Dave

It did have alarm and immobiliser but I had an alarm guy remove the whole system..
I would get this "alarm guy" back if i was you! i took my alarm/immobilser off the way the book said and could i fook start the thing when i had taken it off in the end it went back on and it start's every time first time!

red reading

I would get this "alarm guy" back if i was you! i took my alarm/immobilser off the way the book said and could i fook start the thing when i had taken it off in the end it went back on and it start's every time first time!

So what you are saying dave is your shit at hot wiring car's and had to give it up as a living as you could'nt afford to feed my kid's!!:lol::lol::lol:

Paul

Cool, well im gonna try bobs stuff first and failing that maybe ill give him a call..

Fusion Ed

Don't forget what I said. I very much doubt anyone is as familiar with the ECCS wiring on a pulsar as me.... I even have pulsar ECUs running in (turbo) Nissan micras ;)