Standard turbo to gt2871r

Hi guys, just a question about upgrading my turbo....

I want to go for a GT2871R and have contacted Owen Developments. They say if i send them my turbo (standard) they will use the compressor housing and actuator bracket and rebuild it to a GT2871R. I thought they would supply me with a new compressor housing but retain my turbine housing, not the other way round?
I also thought (although a T28 still) that this turbo is completely different to the standard Pulsar turbo?

Any thoughts? cheers.

ashills

They can be housed in a few different style hosuings so they could make it look like a stock turbo or have a 2.75 inlet or a 4" inlet, housed in a stock design is easiest for fitment but pipe runs etc may be simpler with a 2.75 inlet

OK cheers mate, what is the standard inlet size then at the moment?
I want to go for around 350bhp and have read the 2871r .64 will achieve this easily?

gtirx2

I had a little look into this recentally as i had a stock fitment .64 2860rs converted into a .64 2871 by turbo dynamics.

The exhaust housings are different from the stock turbo and gt series turbos as one bolts to the core with 4 bolts and the gt 6 bolts i beleave.

There are also three different trim compressor wheels that the 2871 uses 48,52 and 56,you will need to look into it to see what best suits your needs.

I went for the 52trim in the end after reading into it but you really need to check it out for your self,what ever trim you choose should make 350 though.

Also if using the .64 housing i think its wise to get the wastegate ported as i have read they can suffer boost creep issues.

As for inlet size, i am not to sure about the stock turbo but it does taper down,the 52trim in the stock housing is close to 55mm i think which is proberly only just slightly larger than the stock inlet.