standard brakes

M4RV3

are standard brakes any good ever? even with yellow stuff pads and drilled and grooved disc had this set up on the 200sx and it pulled your face off lol

warpspeed

certainly not if you intend to go anywhere near a racetrack.
not much cop on the road either, i used a set on my sunny gti and sunny zx and even with grooved discs and uprated pads rhey are still marginal

M4RV3

my yellow stuff pads were the best brakes ive ever had absolutly amazing and i had no trouble with them on the road at all

warpspeed

aye but on what car, my old man stuck red stuff pads on his rover 620turbo and they transformed the brakes but it's not even worth bothering with the standard brakes on a pulsar

shroom

I never found them that bad, they still stop you just fine its the fade thats the problem, i wouldnt suggest that there at the top of the list for a first modification for some 4 pots, i had the car mapped on private roads with a 3071 only on 1.4 bar but it did stop it! Just not continously

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
are standard brakes any good ever? even with yellow stuff pads and drilled and grooved disc had this set up on the 200sx and it pulled your face off lol
Yes as long as you don't repeatedly use them until they overheat.
I did some tests on my standard ones and their best stopping distance from 70mph was easily in the average range of my AP 4 pots. (mainly because my AP fronts would lock and skid so easily:doh: ) I think my standards were doing 140-150ft ish.

splmum

Other than for dottering around town they are adequate.
If you intend to use your R in any form other than around town then the first mod you need to do is fit a decent brake upgrade.
No use having giddy-up without the whoa.

paz

I never found them that bad either, but the fade is awful after even a short spirited run.

geoff pine

Standard brakes are just crap don't think the pads make much different there fine if your driving miss daisy to the shops :lol:at motorway speeds there just dangerous :lol: :lol:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I also have never had a problem with the standard brakes on the road. - Yes, you need to use a lot of foot, but it has never failed to pull-up in any conditions (other than ice).

I agree though that upgrading them would be well worth the effort.

skiddusmarkus

Any brakes will stop a car eventually.Its how quickly it does it that matters and standard ones are shocking.They are the same setup as the gti despite having all the extra weight of awd and 50% more power.I've gone through 3 brake setups and am finall happy with 300mm fronts with 4 pots and 285mm rears with standard calipers.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Seeing as I'm looking at replacing one or both of my rear calipers I was talking to the wife about my options... the short version is "stop messing around with the standard brakes, they're crap; put some good ones on. I'm fed-up of having no faith that the car isn't going to stop." :roll:

So, despite my big talk about my faith in the standard package it looks like I'm after an upgrade now too. ;-)

skiddusmarkus

I know some people use the old evo caliper with a spacer and clio 280mm disc, but did anyone ever make just a spacer to use with the standard caliper and clio disc?Seems like the best compromise to me as it could probably be done as a kit for £150-200 inc spacer, discs and pads.

johnsy

I know some people use the old evo caliper with a spacer and clio 280mm disc, but did anyone ever make just a spacer to use with the standard caliper and clio disc?Seems like the best compromise to me as it could probably be done as a kit for £150-200 inc spacer, discs and pads.
if you do make it to york the mora have a look at williams brake setup, that was fairly inexspensive

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Inexpensive is what I like to hear! - I think my first stop is going to be replacing all these crappy hoses with braided ones.

splmum

And if you haven't got one, get one of Steve Pudney's brake master cylinder stopper units, they also help to improve braking.