Spraying exterior plastics

Garef

Was thinking about spraying the exterior plastics on the car, such as the rub strips, the plastic on the bumpers and possible the number plate surround. I'm not going for a shiney black, was just gonna go for a satin/matt black, got my wheels done recently and because they look so good I'm now noticing how dull the plastic looks. Was wondering if anyone else had done this, was it a good idea, and if you had any pics?

If you haven't done it, what do you think, should I go for it?

vss irvine

you need to use 'adhesion promoter', to help the primer/paint stick to the plastics. or else itll start coming off after a few weeks.
make sure you also use plastic primer or etching primer.

Garef

vss irvine said:
you need to use 'adhesion promoter', to help the primer/paint stick to the plastics. or else itll start coming off after a few weeks.
make sure you also use plastic primer or etching primer.
Wow, I saw you had replied and was expecting another round of verbal ping pong, haha. What a pleasant surprise to see some nice advice. Cheers.

John, I've tried a few things like back to black, which make them look ok for five mins, think there just so faded from being 17 yrs old.

MORF114

If you have a Glasurit paint supplier round your way heres how i do them , im a car painter by trade.

Heres what you will need.

-Compressor any size will do as the parts are so small you dont need a big compressor just enough to run 3bar or about 20cfm i use a 190cfm screw compressor.
- hvlp spray gun with a 1.7 tip for primer and a 1.3 or 1.4 for your top coat with a air control gauge.
-Airline.
-moisture trap very important or water and oil will build up from the compressor and ruin the paint job.
-Paint mask to stop breathing in isocyanates very poisonous dont paint without one unless you want to die young.
-Latex gloves
-Clean area to work
-Red scotch
-p800 wet and dry 2-3 sheets
-Panel wipes
-Prep sol
-Tack rag
-Mixing scales that can measure as little as 10grams up to 2kg 1 litre of liquid = 1kg depending on density.
-Clean mixing pot.
-Clean mixing stick.
-Paint strainer.
-Thinners to clean your gun.

Paint

I have used quite a few paint companies around , Standox, Glasurit, PPG, RM, spies hecker, house of kolor etc etc

They are all pretty much the same give the same finishes some are easier to use and quicker to use but i use glasurit as this is the paint company i use at the moment aswell as ppg but i prefer glasurit.

Prep sol - 541-5
Plastic adhesion promotor-934-0
Primer-285-55 - 100%
primer hardner-929-55- 25%
reducer-352-91- 25%
top coat- kh3 - 22 line mix ratio 2:1+10%20%,30% depends on surface, weather, heat, size of panel blah blah blah
Top coat hardner 929-93 fast hardner or 929-91 normal hardner i would use 93 if i cannot bake it reduce drying times.
Reducer- same for primer 352-91
Matting agent- 522-322 HS (high solid) matting agent, ms (medium solid) matting agent is crap dont use it.

-Semi gloss finish add 25% 522-322 to the weight of you unmixed top coat .
-Satin Gloss finish add 35% 522-322 to the total weight of unmixed top coat .
-silky matt finish add 45% 522-322 to the total weight of the unmixed top coat.

After you matting agent is mixed with the top coat you can then add your hardeners and reducers @ 2:1+ depending on the heat of the day cold day would be around 10% reducer hot day i would use 30% reducer this paint is piss thin and if you have not painted before i would use a 10% reducer.

Right lets start now all that shit is out the way and you realised you want to bodge it because all the shit is expensive and its alot of stuff to paint a few bits.

You can either take parts off the car or leave them on its up to you, i prefer to take off but im payed most of the time to leave on.

1st off get a red scotch brite , scotch down all the plastics if you have any deep gauges or scratches in them dont be tempted to rub them down with sand paper to get them out or to key them ready for filler as it will just fluff up when you come to prime them and will usually require priming again which is a step backwards.

Once all the parts have been keyed get you prepsol and panel wipe rag (lint free) and give them a good clean and a blow off i use a airline fitting connected to my airline as most blowers dont blow enough air at a high enough pressure for my liking if its a hot day and your hands are sweaty wear latex gloves as the salt on you skin will cause bad adhesion with the plaster adhesion promoter.

Grab your plastic adhesion promotor pour some on a panel wipe and wipe over the plastic part. leave for about 5-10 mins before you apply any primer. leave any longer than 20 mins you will have to re wipe as it will evaporate into the atmosphere.

Mix your 285-55 primer @ a 4:1:1 with your hardner and reducer. Spay on 2-3 even coats. @ 2 bar air pressure with spray guns fan size on its biggest setting
wait for the first coat to dry before adding your next coat the way you can tell it will turn from a gloss finish to a semi gloss matt finish then its time to put on you next coat.
Wait a few hours for the primer to fully cure otherwise when you put the final coat on the top coat will sink into the primer and provide a dodgy looking dull matt finish which looks awefull.
Dont forget to clean your gun properly as you will need it again.

After the primer has had time to cure use a aerosol can as a guide coat to rub down the primer from a orange peel finish to a smooth flat surface, using your p800 wet and dry sand paper dont use it dry though, and be sure to check that the corners of the sandpaper are not scratching the primered surface. be sure not to rub through to the plastic.
once you have rubbed down the primer blow all the water away and prepsol parts again give them a good clean, never leave panels with scummy primer water juice all over them always clean if you walk away for a coffee, smoke or a nooner as it will cause you problems later on.

Once your plastic parts are ready to paint give them a thorough clean be sure to get all scum marks off the panels give the area a good blow down and now its time to mix your paint.

2:1+10%

Find the weight of your paint for 2 bumpers sideskirts all door mouldings mirrors number plate surround i would mix up about 1.5 litres of paint
0.7 ltr of KH3 + 35% 522-322 Matting agent
add 473grams of 929-93 fast hardener
Then add 10% 142grams of reducer into the mix.
2:1+10%

Thats the paint all mixed pour some paint into your gun pot using the paint strainer otherwise bits of dirt and shit will clog the guns nozzles or fly out into the paint etc.

Now its the fun bit give the panles a final check over and if they all look good give them a blow off final prepsol and a wipe with the tack cloth to get off any lint fluff dirt and dust.

Start off with your first coat as a half trigger so it doesnt fully cover some people call it a gripper coat i use it to find any water marks or imperfections that will effect final finish. once that is tacky apply your full covering coat.
check over panles to see if you have missed any places if so you need to be quick in checking parts as the paint is drying and will look bad if you paint a 1/4 of a panel or a little edge, best thing you can do if you need to reapply a coat because of coverage or missed a spot is wait untill it is tacky (not wet) and apply another coat if you dont the paint will sit too heavy and sag the paint down causing a run, aslo happens if you apply paint unevenly.
I cant teach you how to paint its something which you will have to give it your best and learn from any mistakes you may make.

Dont apply more than 3 coats as the paint is so heavy it cant hold itself up on a vertical panel and will sag/run/waterfall lol

And job done clean your gun and wait for your paint to dry depending on heat temp it should take about 6hrs max to dry to the touch or 1-2 days to fully cure kh3 is a solid black and should only require 1.5 coats of paint any more and its a waste of materials time and money.

Loads of bits i have probably missed but but im in a rush lol

Thats a quick easy guide to follow for painting plastic parts in KH3 glasurit 22 line paint system.

Last edited:

Garef

Morf, thanks for the write up, glad it was only the quick version.

However, thats way to complicated for my liking, I was talking about a quick in the garage job, diy style.

Think I might give it a go none the less.

Martyn, how the hell do u get the rub strips off?

MORF114

No worries mate lol its a lot easier than it sounds , that is pretty much a garage diy job lol just a expensive one, or cheap if you have all the tools knowledge and materials to hand.

You can pay for someone to do it for you keeps people like me employed.

Use a bog spreader (metal or plastic) to get mouldings off dont bend it while removing or it will stay bent.