spark plugs

rayman75

right. i have had my R for 2 weeks and i bloody love it :D last week carried out an oil change with no probs (obviously). it isnt my daily drive as i have a company transit but as i have just bought it i have been running it up every night and taken it for a quick spin :twisted:

anyway now this morning i just move it a couple of meters to clean it and the thing was missing like mad, so i turned it off had a look at the dizzy it was ok, maybe thinking that one of the sparkies had gone?? went to take the first one out with my ratchet and it was very loose (hand tight) the same as the next 2, is this a common problem?? also is there anything else to check thats common with the R.

anyway give'em a clean, tightend them up and jobs a good'un

J

Jamz

I checked my plugs today and all 4 were only hand tight as well.....tighted them up but it still didn't cure my misfire :-(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Do you mean hand tight or finger tight?
The plugs are only done upto 14-22lbft which is not alot (barely 5 white knuckels :wink: ). but if you can undo the with an extension bar only and no handle, then they're too loose :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have heard of a few cases of plugs coming loose. :( The problem with doing them up very tight on aluminium heads is the chances of stripping the thread in the head. :shock:

Are they standard plugs or upgraded?

Mr GTiR

there's no need to over tighten plugs.

Do you now how long the iridiums have been in for and what are the condition of them?

rayman75

they have been in since june last year, they are in ok condition they was a bit black (does that mean a bit over fueling i cant remember) they cleaned up ok. i have orderd some new ones.