So much for saving weight

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I got my Forge front mount today and the whole kit weighs a ton.[:0] Time to get some stiffer springs up front me thinks.[:p]

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
To replace abit of what was lost
The forge kit weighed 15kg
and when I weighed the bits that came off the car they came to around 12kg

S

Sirnixalot

if a part adds power it is allowed to be over weight to an extent.....and 3kg isnt anything to compain about :p .......and this is coming from the resident automobile anarexic :shock: :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I was worried when I first picked up the box, but when I found out how much I had removed I wasn't so worried.
My carbon bonnet will save me some more weight, when it gets here. :x

G

gotoinstant-redline

on a similar note,

has anyone weighed any other fmic? cos i want the lightest one i can get!
15kg does seem a lot but i spose the stock one isnt exactly super light.

spose i'll just have to be ripping my air con out as i put the ic in :)

L.

S

Sirnixalot

mine will be a custom kit but i know its heavier than the forge. For one my intercooler is larger, the end tanks are cast (forge ones look like bent welded and polished sheet metal to me) and my piping isnt aluminum...its exhaust pipe....that will be spray painted on the hot side and heat wrapped on the cold side....so that again doesnt help the weight....it does help the power though :D

G

gotoinstant-redline

i was thinking of doing my own ic kit with a skyline uprated ic. or would the stock r33 gtr cooler be enough for the R ??

the other one i was looking at was the norris designs stage 2..
anyone got any feed back on either of them 2?

L.

S

Sirnixalot

i meant to say mine IS a custom kit. That uses an aftermarket skyline intercooler :wink: 8)

No first hand experience with the norris bits.....they make the power but i still dont like the bends coming right off the intercooler.....they are required to clear the bonnet but they look really restrictive

G

gotoinstant-redline

ah so i was sorta on the right track with the gtr cooler anyway :)

i know what you mean by the bends on the nd cooler. not really given it much thought before.

where did you get your cooler from? what model is it? etc etc cost?
and i spose the hardest part of a diy fmic is, where the hell do you get the pipes from? i knwo i can get the silicone ones but i mean the hard ss pipes..

chears

L.

R

robinsongtir

Nikko where did you get the I/C from how much and what power can it take?

i was thinking of doing my own ic kit with a skyline uprated ic. or would the stock r33 gtr cooler be enough for the R ??
the R33 gtr i/c should be good for 500bhp on our cars

S

Sirnixalot

you know me...i get most of my shtuff from the US when it concerns power...its just cheaper that way :)

http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/xssilfmiccor.html

i have the GTR core...thats 600hp capable, the end tank outlets are 2.75" so dont think a 3" transition coupler will work.

If you do get this i would recommend 2.25" piping from the turbo to the IC and 2.5" piping from the IC to the intake plenum

Nad

Sirnixalot said:
If you do get this i would recommend 2.25" piping from the turbo to the IC and 2.5" piping from the IC to the intake plenum
How did u come to these measurements. I have a formula to work out Inlet manifold velocity so u can calculate the inlet diameter per a cylinder but am just looking for a way to calculate the amount of air needed at full throttle so as not to have too bigger diameter pipe and increase lag.

Nad

G

gotoinstant-redline

care to share this info with us nad?
i'm sure the rest of us diy moders out there would love more info on how to power up our ic systems :)

L.

S

Sirnixalot

we've turned a weight savings thread into an intercooler piping size discussion :shock: :oops:
well you dont want to go too large on the hot side (turbo to IC piping), it really depends on the compressor outlet diameter. That is the IC piping sizes that the US Sentra owners use as common practice.

I personally am using 2.5 " all around because i didnt reserch it before i bought the materials :oops: so i must suffer

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
I use Hiteq's HKS FMIC Kit and its absolutely superb...

If I was to choose again I would pick the same kit...

Rishi

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Looking at pixs of mine and Sirnixalots front mounts side by side, they look almost the same size.

The whole kit weighed 15kg, not the core on it's own (just over 5-6kg I think).
The metal for the forge pipe run is stainless steel not aluminium, therefore alot heavier than I was expecting.
The samco hoses also weigh just short of .5kg each ( 7 bends although 1 pipe is 3 joined together, so 4.5kg approx)
The 14 :shock: jubilee clips weighed about 1kg
The stainless stell accounts for the rest.

Nad swap you formulae :wink:
Engine Volumetric Flow (100% volumetric efficiency)
Voulme of air (cu ft/min)= engine rpm x engine cid (cubic inches)/3456

What's your formula? :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Forgot to say, I put the Forge oil separator on at the same time. It weighs less than the standard item, but again the samco hose adds a little back. Looks nice tho. I have chrome and blue bits under my bonnet now. 8)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I never thought to measure it :oops: At a guess, about 2.5" but I'll check tomorrow.

Thinking about it, I think the jubilee clips were upto 70mm so it could be around that. (2 3/4"?)

G

GTI-R Kid

If you could measure it it would be great. :D

Also - do you know if the pipework is the same diameter all round (from turbo to cooler and from cooler to plenum)? If you could find that out too it would be very much appreciated. :)