Small upgrade to GT2860RS/disco potato - MODS?

CanadianR

My turbo shit the bed last month. I've come across a GT2860RS for about $1150.

Anyways, as for mods/upgrades, the car is bone stock aside from a walbro fuel pump, fmic, ssqv and pod filter.

I am wondering about these few questions:

1. will the stock oil and water lines fit with the new turbo? Or am I better off getting a set of braided hoses made up? Or is there a kit somewhere? If anybody knows of a ready-made kit, can they post a link or at least some terms that I can google?

2. If there is not a ready made kit and I would be better off getting the lines made up locally by a hose shop or performance shop, what should I bring to them? I'm thinking I'll need the length of hose (obviously) as well as the banjo fittings and any other fittings (the tapered, barbed fitting for the water line near the stock boost solenoid).

3. Finally, will the stock ecu, afm and injectors be able to cope with the new turbo? I plan to stay at "stock" boost, regulated by the stock boost solenoid. After I finish school in April, I will look into different ecu or piggyback options, but right now the ONLY goal is to get the car running again safely.

I know there is another recent thread regarding the GT2860RS and supporting mods for it, however the owner of that car has forged internals that can handle a more aggressive power goal than I am looking at for the time being.

Thanks!

iomegalinux

one of the important things is that you need an 'oil restrictor" for Ball bearing turbo.
Journal bearing need a lot more oil than BB.

P

pulsarboby

the stock lines will fit fine and i believe the oil restrictor is in turbo housing.
at stock boost you will be well within running capabilities of stock ecu, injectors and afm....at a guess i would say car will produce around 310-320bhp at stock boost with that tubby.

i have a brand new one for sale if needed with oil & water lines, silicone couplers and actuator fitted to modified bracket but im after £750 for the kit (its only ever seen 1 hour on rollers with 0 road miles)
but i guess in canada it may be better and cheaper for you to buy one there!

CanadianR

Bob, thanks for the offer but this one arrives in 3 days with warranty. too hard to back away from for the price.

Could you post or PM me the part number for that turbo? I have GT2860RS - 739548-5 from garrett's website.

Also, are you certain the restrictor is located in the housing? Thanks.