small clutch emergency

A

Anonymous

I am in the u.s. and I am receiving conflicting information, I did a search on this before and thought I found an answer, but would really appreciate the wisdom from a number of you who KNOW!

Is the clutch, pressure plate and flywheel the same on the gti-r as the s14? I was told that the bearing is the only difference, but then somebody else said that the flywheel is different as well, I just need to be sure. I don't have much time to decide.

I would simply buy the srb package deal if I were over there, but am hoping to save some shipping and get what i need over here. Thanks so much in advance.

Thanks again! Danny

O

Odin

I have an S14 clutch fitted to my pulsar, I bught it off JGY customs in the U S :wink: .

It does fit are flywheel it's just the bearing that is different, It will also only fit in one position on the flywheel :wink: So you will just have to play around with it to it lines up fella.

Mine is a spec 6 paddle clutch rated at 464lb's 8) .

rob

A

Anonymous

thanks

Rob,

Thanks for the reply, that is the exact clutch I am trying to get, and I am trying to get their flywheel as well, and I couldn't tell from your response if you were saying the s14 flywheel (fidanza) would work as well...does it?

Thanks again,

Danny

K

kizzyturbo4x4

flywheel wont fit right?
cause its an all different cranck bearing that it sits on.
(in difference to the s14 cranck bearing?)
would belive the clutch might fit but not the flywheel.
even dought.. i never tried ;)

I

Innovate Performance

The clutches fit but the flywheels do not the cranks are different on the s14 to the GTiR Thinks the bolt spacing is different but dont hold me to that. :wink:

O

Odin

Re: thanks

dwike said:
Rob,

Thanks for the reply, that is the exact clutch I am trying to get, and I am trying to get their flywheel as well, and I couldn't tell from your response if you were saying the s14 flywheel (fidanza) would work as well...does it?

Thanks again,

Danny
Hi mate :wink: No the flywheel will not fit as has been said by the other's, But the clutch will fit fine.

I just had my standard flywheel lightend and balanced as I didn't want something to light fitted as you can loose torque.

rob

A

AVOGTIR

i have a 53j crank in my pulsar dont ask why but i do the gtir flywheel does fit......

the pressure plates are slightly different, s14 being a 280mm spacing while the pulsar is 278mm(dowl pattern) so if u use all s14 gear u should be right.

O

Odin

AVOGTIR said:
the pressure plates are slightly different, s14 being a 280mm spacing while the pulsar is 278mm(dowl pattern) so if u use all s14 gear u should be right.
The pressure plate went on mine fine fella, It just has to go on the right way that's all, You think it will not fit but if your useing the same spec clutch as me it will fit, BUT JUST ONE WAY.

I hope that made some kinda sense :oops:

rob

Nad

Bolt hole sizes are different. I think they are bigger on the R so the S14 flywheel will need to have the holes machined out. Tomei done this for free as part of buying the stroker kit as it isnt R specific like some others u can buy.

Nad

K

kizzyturbo4x4

fitted a RPS Clutchkit (full faced sprungplate and uprated pressure plate)

it works like !!!!!
its a thousand times better drive than the old uprated 4-puck plate with standard p-plate i had before. (totaled)
but i have encountered 1 problem.
this kit is a sr20det kit... often aslo marked 200sx s14.
the slavesylinder doent release the clutch fully, i had to adapt the slavesylinder so that it pushed it further.
so now it just releases it, but it takes at approx 2mm of the floor....
kinda tricky to drive with but it works....
is there a possibilty that the s14 slavesylinder is different from ours?
and that might be the solution?

A

AVOGTIR

try bleeding the clutch, slowly, raise the pedal slowly, so hopefully the piston in the master can adjust according'y, otherwise whip out the master and put a rebuild kit in it, the self adjust mechanism has stoped working, and put the standard slave rod in.

K

kizzyturbo4x4

i think i understand what u meen, but if you could fill it out a bit more that would be great!
explane me just exactly how that would work,
and a rebuild kit?? what does that do? and how does the self adjust work?
:oops: :oops: 8)

K

kizzyturbo4x4

again what happens:

the rod on the slavesylinder doesnt start pressing the clutcharm until pedal is halfway down, so when the pedal is totally floored, the clutcharm hasnt jet fully depressed the pressure plateand therby the clutch doesnt disconect fully.
i extended the rod on the slavesylinder so that it moves the clutcharm abit more and just enough to disconect the clutch.
but the clutch no takes at approx 2mm of the floor so its kinda no how i want it to be ;)

O

Odin

I have an s14 clutch and it works perfectly so there must be another problem with your car matey :wink: .

rob

K

kizzyturbo4x4

what is wrong, or what have i done....
i cant get it to work properly.
it just wont release fully, and gets worse when hot.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
help :(

O

Olly

The master cylinder is manually adjustable for travel on the rod, sounds too me like you have gone to far on the adjustment chap, have look on the manuals if not sure how 2. Check the free play (travel before compression is felt)Certainly isn't self adjusting i'm afraid...... nice if it was then you wouldn't have to lie on your back doing it under the dash :lol: 8)

A

AVOGTIR

Olly said:
The master cylinder is manually adjustable for travel on the rod, sounds too me like you have gone to far on the adjustment chap, have look on the manuals if not sure how 2. Check the free play (travel before compression is felt)Certainly isn't self adjusting i'm afraid...... nice if it was then you wouldn't have to lie on your back doing it under the dash :lol: 8)
olly it is self adjusting, hence the ball and spring mechanism on the inside of the piston in the master, that rod is only there to adjust the free play in the pedal.

i would look at putting a kit in the master first, u may just find that is the problem.

i have been throw all these problem in 3 years, i should have just replaced the master cyl piston first. it good as gold, as before is was taking up off the floor, hard to grab gears ect. new master cly piston all is good, u can feel it adjust with about 10 pumps, starts off feeling shit then slowly improves and it sets the clutch fork in to the right position.

matt