sideways snow mobbing!

akchang

im up here in alaska and we have gotten our first snowfall recently. the R is a blast! sideways for a long ways! i get all happy every time i get to go out and drive it. i was wondering if you guys encounter much snow over in the UK? cause every R owner should share the tractionless feeling of driving in the snow!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Nope we generally get rain and lots of it. Had a moment last night where I hit more of a swimming pool than a puddle and went sliding into a corner at 70mph. Had a "do I go for the field or attempt to get round the corner, half make it and hit the lampost instead moment". :shock:

Dab on the brakes, nose tucks in and around we go, little Sunny did me proud in hindsight.

Roll on January and our 3 days of snow 8)

marcymarc

campbellju said:
Nope we generally get rain and lots of it. Had a moment last night where I hit more of a swimming pool than a puddle and went sliding into a corner at 70mph. Had a "do I go for the field or attempt to get round the corner, half make it and hit the lampost instead moment". :shock:

Dab on the brakes, nose tucks in and around we go, little Sunny did me proud in hindsight.

Roll on January and our 3 days of snow 8)

And just think ..... on those 3 days how many old folk are gonna freeze n fall over.....tut tut....i dont know you sleep at night :roll: :wink:

C

Chi-town

wtf...do they sell gtirs in alaska or are they imported??

M

macphegf

Chi-town said:
Might want to read his sig mate :wink: .
Remember Alaska is closer to japan than we are :wink: .

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
macphegf said:
Chi-town said:
Might want to read his sig mate :wink: .
Remember Alaska is closer to japan than we are :wink: .
And Russia is only a short walk away if you want to defect. :lol:

J

jpward

akchang said:
im up here in alaska and we have gotten our first snowfall recently. the R is a blast! sideways for a long ways! i get all happy every time i get to go out and drive it. i was wondering if you guys encounter much snow over in the UK? cause every R owner should share the tractionless feeling of driving in the snow!
Hey i bet at -40 you dont get much heat soak hehe i take it you have had yours converted or you have it stored over the winter?

Well i have had mine in the snow quite a few times and its a handfull in comparrison to rwd cars i have drove in it. Lots of fun though me and a friend in his scooby got chased of B&Q (Diy store like Wallmart size) carpark for drifting at 10 at night hehe :twisted:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
jpward said:
Well i have had mine in the snow quite a few times and its a handfull in comparrison to rwd cars i have drove in it.
I've only drove mine in the snow a couple ot times (I'm normally out shifting it with the plough :oops: ) and I wasn't impressed at all. It just wanted to go straight on at corners and I could only go round them if I dipped the clutch. :?
It did make for easy donuts tho :evil:

J

jpward

Wasnt just my driving then phew :)

I also found when coasting on flat road if you steer from side to side slightly she will fish tail quite quickly as the time i did this on a road only wide enough for a car and had full lock on to bring her back my mate nearly took the JC bar off the roof :lol: :lol:

GTiR_Mic

I will be getting snow up my part of Scotland soon but the R is off the road so won't be able to have fun in it. Will just had to stick with the snow boggie board.

Mic

Dooie Pop Pop

GTiR_Mic said:
I will be getting snow up my part of Scotland soon but the R is off the road so won't be able to have fun in it. Will just had to stick with the snow boggie board.

Mic
if the weather reports are anything to go by you' ll be needing ski' s for the next 6months :shock: :lol:

GTiR_Mic

Already got a pair of Ski's, might just spend all the R money on a Snow Mobile then if that is the case :lol: :lol:

Mic

akchang

the tires i have on are well treaded and siped so traction is pretty good. just have to set up the turns so that the tail hangs a bit. there are a few fun rally trails by my house. not supposed to do it but sooooo fun! :twisted:

oh and i actually got the R from down in the states and sent it up here. its a little tricky to get all legal but it is possible.

we actually have some rallyX races up here which i will be entering this winter. i will let you guys know how i do.

ram5ay

I luv :oops: snow, get more excited about it snowing now than I used to when I was 10. Can't beat going out at 3 or 4am before the gritters are about and the roads are empty. It's one of the only times you can get your R to go sideways at stupidly low speeds where you cant do much damage if you fluff up, dual carraigeways are allways a winner :wink:
Not that I would encourage anyone to misbehave on the public highway you understand :shock:.
Does teach you a few things about the way the car handles tho :wink:

akchang

Chi-town said:
who imported the car for you?
was a japanese guy in california that brought it in. he had an import business, mostly motorcycles and parts. he moved his business to florida and had to get rid of the car. it was sitting in a warehouse for almost a year and wasnt in running condition but i bought it, got it sent up here and finished the work. now its a blast. :D

J

jpward

akchang said:
Chi-town said:
who imported the car for you?
was a japanese guy in california that brought it in. he had an import business, mostly motorcycles and parts. he moved his business to florida and had to get rid of the car. it was sitting in a warehouse for almost a year and wasnt in running condition but i bought it, got it sent up here and finished the work. now its a blast. :D
How close is the SE-R engine?