shorter intercooler pipes

nimhbk

Hi Bob
is the intercooler in your kit larger or smaller than the rs 500 cosworth one i found on ebay; 600 by 400 by 45...
if i drop the rad a touch surely a 400cm in height will fit in with a bit of angle grinding here and there..

And whats the crossmember is that large metal pipe under the rad ???

and i taqke it the slam panel is the crapy metal bumper thing, my large front mount is connected to

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

nimhbk said:
Hi Bob
is the intercooler in your kit larger or smaller than the rs 500 cosworth one i found on ebay; 600 by 400 by 45...
if i drop the rad a touch surely a 400cm in height will fit in with a bit of angle grinding here and there..

And whats the crossmember is that large metal pipe under the rad ???

and i taqke it the slam panel is the crapy metal bumper thing, my large front mount is connected to

not sure on the size without measuring it tbh but the ic is very deep (much deepet than one of the ebay jobbies.

the slam panel is the metal strip thats bolted between the headlights mine is now gone, as is kierons above:lol:
ive even had to cut the back plastic fixings off the headlights to gain a bit more room for the turbo to clear the rad / ic unit.

if you look at kierons picture above at the bottom you will see where the front crossmember used to be:lol: ive not done such a nice job of mine but basically the rad and ic will sit on top of that bar in the middle.
you will also need to lose the horn bar and all the bonnet catch mechanism and use bonnet pins instead.

having said all this (this is based on fixing the kit with running a large tubby with 4'' intake) if you retain a standard size turbo then i reckon a radtech kit would be a straight forward fit

Last edited by a moderator:

stumo

Trip said:
Isn't there that 'cross member' with the engine stabiliser on it .. How do you drop the radiator down with the cross member in the way ? :shock:

You remove the bit that goes from the tubular x-member to the main x-member...

the rad in the picture is a std sized radtec rad........

nimhbk

stumo said:
You remove the bit that goes from the tubular x-member to the main x-member...

the rad in the picture is a std sized radtec rad........

you lost me fella so what do i need to cut off to drop the rad/ does it involve welding as well..... is there no way to drop the normal rad with out having to cut anything, canot look at my car due to it still being at the Garage (only been 4 months now) :doh: :-D :-D

stumo

nimhbk said:
you lost me fella so what do i need to cut off to drop the rad/ does it involve welding as well..... is there no way to drop the normal rad with out having to cut anything, canot look at my car due to it still being at the Garage (only been 4 months now) :doh: :-D :-D
On the tubular x-member there's a bracket which attaches it to the front x-member, it's that bit you need to remove. wait till you got your car back and it'll make sense.

have you got more pics about short fmic piping on the R?
I want install a classic 600x300x76 fmic..and I want do my self a short piping system

nimhbk

i have a 600x300x76 on at the mo, does a intercooler that size effect the spool up time as well, a car with 345bhp would i also be better of with a smaller cooler with a short run ????

Trip

nimhbk said:
i have a 600x300x76 on at the mo, does a intercooler that size effect the spool up time as well, a car with 345bhp would i also be better of with a smaller cooler with a short run ????
think about the whole setup in Volume.. The bigger the volume the more time is needed to fill it up. You want to fill it as fast as possible so it reaches the engine faster.

take this in practice, If you need to inflate a tyre to 30psi, which will take you the longest, a big tyre or a small one ?

In my opinion for a street, hillclimb and sprints car, the classic style FMIC is not the ideal. On the other hand, it would be ideal for a 1/4 mile drag car.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Trip said:
think about the whole setup in Volume.. The bigger the volume the more time is needed to fill it up. You want to fill it as fast as possible so it reaches the engine faster.

take this in practice, If you need to inflate a tyre to 30psi, which will take you the longest, a big tyre or a small one ?
Spot on! I worked out that the Evo intercooler was the best for this. It has more volume than the standard oe cooler, but enough to charge up (with a custom pipe run) quickly for track work and hill climbs. Anything more that 450bhp then I’d look to something else, but that depends on your set up and modifications

MarkTurbo

Trip said:
In my opinion for a street, hillclimb and sprints car, the classic style FMIC is not the ideal. On the other hand, it would be ideal for a 1/4 mile drag car.
Theres far too much pipework in your average front mount kit, whenever i've driven a car with one fitted it feels a lot more laggy than mine.

This is what ive done on my car. The intercooler inlet/outlets are on the side as usual but at the top of the intercooler and the pipework runs through a gap either side of the radiator.

davey red.r

MarkTurbo said:
Theres far too much pipework in your average front mount kit, whenever i've driven a car with one fitted it feels a lot more laggy than mine.

This is what ive done on my car. The intercooler inlet/outlets are on the side as usual but at the top of the intercooler and the pipework runs through a gap either side of the radiator.

mark what manifold is that?

davey

nimhbk

what core are you running mark looked at my 600 and it looks way to long to get the pipes to leave via hole by the rad

quote=MarkTurbo;370382]Theres far too much pipework in your average front mount kit, whenever i've driven a car with one fitted it feels a lot more laggy than mine.

[/quote]