shorter intercooler pipes

nimhbk

is it worth trying to get them as short as possible if you have a front mount. only got 345bhp, will i notice a difference

thanks

Nick

P

pulsarboby

definately worth doing.
i had a 4''fmic with the standard pipe run and car was making big hp but drivability was crap coming on boost as the turbo spool up time was slow.

i removed the ic and fitted a smaller radtech version with very short pipe run and the difference was huge as the turbo now spools up much quicker than before.

not been on rollers since and tbh i couldnt care less what the bhp figure is, what matters is that the car is much more drivable throughout the rev range.
the bhp figures (whatever they are) are merely just for pub talk, its how it gets there what really counts;-)

nimhbk

Might seem a silly question will the intercooler still work properly
if i cut of the side ports at the bottomof the cooler, and then weld shut
and then turn the cooler so the bottom is now the top and then fabricate the ports so they come out of the top like in the picture above.

will it still flow properly

noriek2003

it'll be fine, but if you're going to do all that add a plate that diverts air to both top and bottom of the cooler on the intake side

Trip

for such setup, you would also need a shorter radiator, to pass the pipe runs from and to the intercooler.

Does anybody else have the original gtir spares intercooler? I wonder if the tight twisty pipe run from the turbo into the intercooler is strangling my engine slightly.

nimhbk

surely if you squash the silicone hoses through the gap at the top of the norma rad you will be ok as the size is the same just a diferent shape

also it must be possible to lower to red???

Last edited:

nimhbk

was going to rotate it 180 so both inlets are on the top and then squash silicone hose between the cooler and the rad

GTIR-LOZ

squashing silicon hoses is not a good idea!!! you may as well have a long pipe run that flows well rather than one thats short but restricts air

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
A standard Evo 7/8/9 intercooler turned upsidedown - perfect for our cars and supports 400bhp

Custom your own pipe run to your needs lenght (something simlar to the Norris run)

stumo

Trip said:
for such setup, you would also need a shorter radiator, to pass the pipe runs from and to the intercooler.

no need for a shorter rad, you just drop it down.

Trip

stumo said:
no need for a shorter rad, you just drop it down.

Isn't there that 'cross member' with the engine stabiliser on it .. How do you drop the radiator down with the cross member in the way ? :shock:

P

pulsarboby

Trip said:
something like this setup

thats the radtech one which i have fitted to mine!

believe me this is not an easy straight forward fit if your running a 3071, ive had to do major surgery with the angle grinder to get this thing to fit, the unit is now mounted and setback on top of the front crossmember. then you have another problem being the height of it (bonnet wont close) so to overcome that ive had to remove the front inner skin of the bonnet aswell and the front slam panel has also had to dissapear:lol:
it now fits but the front of my car will be now very weak and will fold like a pack of cards if it were involved in a collision.