shims

jonesgti_r

engines at adr at the mo havin a rebuild..

Bought a new oil pump from nissan
je 87mm forged pistons
264 hks cams
timming chain
10 head bolts
arp rod bolts
timming chain tensioner
bottom end gasket set
top end gasket set
shells cumming next week

and there gonna sort the crank out

dont think there's any thing else i need ..

Quick question hks 264 cams . will i have to buy shims? :(

GINGA

Only if they need adjusting and you won't know that until they've fitted and check the clearances with the new cams.

G

GTI-R Kid

If getting a port and polish would it be fair to say that you might need new shims when re-fitting everything? (I'm assuming the cams are removed when the head is getting reworked?) :oops:

GINGA

If the port and polish etc is a proper job then the valves should be lapped in and possibly reground and the seats recut for a perfect seal so the clearances would almost definantly require adjusting.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
jonesgti_r said:
Had some Piper cams fitted to mine by the PO and they didn't re-shim. It sounded like a sewing machine at the top end.

When checked, eevry shim was wrong :(

I've got a bagful left over now but at the time it cost me over £200 and over 6 months to get the shimming sorted.

Jim

T

Toady

campbellju said:
jonesgti_r said:
Had some Piper cams fitted to mine by the PO and they didn't re-shim. It sounded like a sewing machine at the top end.

When checked, eevry shim was wrong :(

I've got a bagful left over now but at the time it cost me over £200 and over 6 months to get the shimming sorted.

Jim
I mite be contacting you soon then mate to buy some shims off you!lol! Im doing the same as said above! :wink:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Not that fussed over cash Toady. My point was I ended up having to buy 80%, some from local Nissan, some from Nissan Europe and some from Nissan Japan.. who ran out of stock on some of them so I think it was Habib who gave me a tip about getting them made and sent from Germany :shock:

It took too long and cost too much.

Ross' exchange system sounds like a good idea for the enthusiastic owners amongst us.

Jonesgti-r lives with in a few miles so he might get first dibs and you hijacked his thread :wink: :lol: :wink:

I did an excel spreadsheet in the end of all the shims I have in stock. Measure yours first and post what you need.

T

Toady

yep no worries! (heh heh...hijacker!!!) :lol: thanks for the offer mate!