Safety devices roll cage

DanDud

Hey,

Im planning on doing quite a few track days in the R and am after your opinions on what you guys would do.

Current R spec is in my sig.

Iv been phoning round for a bolt in rear cage not a full 1 and safety devices seem really reasonable and iv heard nothing but good things about them! Theiv quoted me £294.76 + VAT for a rear bolt in which includes the roll bar going back to the rear turrets with a diagnal bar. I think this seems a good price but has anyone got any other reccomendations? Im after a bolt in and not a weld in.

Also im thinking of going for a set of 4pot 280mm Wilwoods with stainless steel brake lines and 5.1 fluid. Will these be good enough for a track day 5 or 6 times a year aswell as general fast road driving?

ALso the hybrid front mount thats on ebay seem pretty good value for money at £400 delivered or has anyone got any other reccomendations for around the same money, i have £1000 to do brakes, roll cage and front mount.

Many thanks

Dan.

A

AJ4

I can't comment on the other stuff but the Willwoods should be fine. Use the Polymatrix pads and you should have no problems. I've been using them for a year or two and never faded them yet ( but I so drive like a wuss though :D )

DanDud

LOL! Wussy :p :D

Have you not done any trackdays on the wilwoods? Im just debating whether or not to go for the 310mm wilwoods, can i justify the extra £165 for the 310's when the 280's will do fine?

Cheers

Dan.

A

AJ4

Depends on what size wheels you have. Get the largest brakes you can fit / afford.

I stuck with the 280's purely because I want to keep 15's. If I had bigger wheels I would have got the biggest brakes I could fit in them.

I meant to say 'I do drive like a wuss', not 'I so drive like a wuss', because that makes me sound like an american homosexual :lol:

DanDud

LOL! Yeah i figured thats what you meant mate, iv got 17's so could fit the 310's but i cant really afford them although i could possibly push it, but if the 280's would be fine i rould rather save myself the money, you know what i mean.

Cheers for the info dude!

Dan.

A

AJ4

depends also what the spokes on your wheels are like. If they are very 'open' it might be worthwhile spending the extra on bigger discs purely because smaller ones look 'lost'. If you have wide spokes its not so bad as they hide them a bit.

The 280's are fine for practical reasons though, not heard of anyone who's said they weren't good enough.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I used to have a 6 point cage in mine when I got the car as it was originally going to be raced. I took it out as roll cages are lethal on the road without a helmet and I was struggling to get any insurance on the car.

It did noticably improve the chassis flex but it also weighed nearly 40Kg. On the trackdays I've done I've never used a cage but alwayd use my own decent biking helmet that stands a chance of protecting my bonce in a crash.

I've got 310 wilwood superlites on mine and would recommend them. I gave my mate whiplash at oulton park dropping from 115ish-40 at Knickerbrook repeatedly in less than 50m. (Happy days :D)

Never seen brake fade ever and normally the problem is locking up the fronts. I could really do with upgrading the rears too but not got round to it yet.

If this is your choice, I've personally never missed my roll cage but my brakes are one of the most noticable and usable upgrades that have helped me avoid crashes many times. Its also really funny and completely legal outbraking everyone on the road.

Between 280 and 310, the 280 are probably a better balance with the back but the 310's will help if you're doing trackdays and needing to brake from higher speeds. Below 60mph, they are prone to locking and I bet the 280's would do the same job.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
When I was trackdaying, the rules were you had to have a cage if you were running slicks as the increase in grip meant there was more chance of the car flipping. All of the crashes I've seen on trackdays wouldn't have been any better with a roll cage. After all your, engine and box can still come through the firewall and squash you :D

Best thing is just not to crash ;-)

DanDud

Yeah, iv been looking round a lot and for now the suspension is 1st on the list, followed by the brakes and whatever funds iv got left are going to go on a bolt in cage so its easily taken out. Then IF iv got any money left a front mount and an Apexi power FC.

Personally i think im gonna go for the 280 Wilwoods with the 4 pot midlights and braided lines, these should do fine, the cars probably only going to do 5 or 6 track days a year and the rest of the time its a weekend toy so the 310's i cant really justify for the extra money.

Cheers guys

Dan