Running No Bov!!!

Gav_Kara

hi everyone! ive blanked my bov off due to a air leak from it. cars running sweet as a nut now. does it do any damage running without one. i running ball bearing turbo ect ect. response seems so much better ect but keeps blowing out big flames is this normal???

cheers gav

Trondelond

With no BOV I suppose you're not getting any excess air into the inlet when you go off the throttle, and the ECU overfuels.

A lot of people run without BOVs, especially on BB turbos. The wear should be microscopic.

MarkTurbo

Trondelond said:
A lot of people run without BOVs, especially on BB turbos. The wear should be microscopic.
In reality your right but i expect all the dump valve defenders will be along at some point to tell you how running without one will knacker the turbo, blow up your engine, affect your marriage, damage the global economy etc etc :lol:

ricey

MarkTurbo said:
In reality your right but i expect all the dump valve defenders will be along at some point to tell you how running without one will knacker the turbo, blow up your engine, affect your marriage, damage the global economy etc etc :lol:
lol :lol:

MarkTurbo said:
lmao

haha, thats funny! :lol: :lol:

Trondelond

MarkTurbo said:
It seems someone has been running without a BOV in the US lately!
I'll be running without one whenever I get around to do the 3071 thing. Just because I can. 8)

Trondelond said:
With no BOV I suppose you're not getting any excess air into the inlet when you go off the throttle, and the ECU overfuels.
As far as I can figure, it's actually the opposite. With no BOV or a recirculating BOV, the ECU will fuel correctly as there is no loss of air (measured by the AFM) from the system. With a VTA BOV, some metered air is expelled to atmosphere and therefore the car will momentarily run richer as the ECU has pulsed the injectors for a specific amount of air, some of which is now missing from the intake.

Gav_Kara's car should not be running richer and flaming, quite the opposite.

steve963

BOV defender here!

surely the sudden stopping of the intake side wheel against the momentum of the exhaust wheel will create some 'tension' somewhere