Running engine in

vpulsar

After just reading some nonsense about running a rebuilt GTi-R engine for 1500 miles I thought I'd post and alternative option for you guys to think about.

1500 mile run in periods might of been OK 20 years ago but not these days with finer tolerances and better oils, My last rebuilt engine followed this schedule in this link below.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Rob

Last edited:

Fusion Ed

Engines I build are diamond honed, and like you say Rob they essentially are run in within the first half hour/20-30 miles. I have even checked this by bore scoping a new engine after 30 mins driving. I will always do this for my customers where possible. The only reason then I demand they drive normally for the rest of the run in is more to let everything else settle and stop abuse of a new engine...

Fusion Ed

Just to add, the BIGGEST problem I see on new engines were people take the drive hard approach is they have NOT been setup properly if AT ALL. A chap who came to me for a setup (twice) had already had his engine fried because it had been eating itself so badly from just not being checked = HUGE waste of money. By the time I saw it, it was too late.

johnny gtir

Have not read it yet but probsbly totally agree was looking a while back like with everything times change materials used etc change i was reading a article about new piston rings not sealing due to old school run in therorys/procedures

ps sorry to add thos but edd works been busy car aint been used still on original ecu injectors it busy getting exhaust mods but will be in touch to get to u hoping as early as possible in march as you can do please will be intouch

MarkTurbo

I ran my stroker engine in hard, it had 1.5 bar on a 3071 straight out the workshop but kept it to 4000rpm for around 100 miles then gradually upped the revs. I only finished building it the week before castle combe sprint so after around 200 miles it had full revs!