Rocker cover gasket & sealant

A

ard1ey

Hi all,

I need to replace my rocker cover gasket as its leaking a small lake of oil over everything. In the book it says to use a bead of liquid gasket between the cylinder head & the rubber gasket, but man from Nissan reckons thats wrong :?:

Anybody done this recently, and did you use the sealant? I trust the book more but I'd rather not give Nissan £30 for some goo if I can help it :)

Cheers

Ian

Keira

just use black silicon sealent but dont go mad with it, think your only supposed to put it on the half moons iirc,

i just did the whole lot :roll:

A

ard1ey

Cheers gents, much appreciated. A dry gasket it will be then 8)

Its strange, the page I've got (EM-97) says to "apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket to mating surface of rocker cover gasket and cylinder head", and shows some dimensions for how it should go on the half-moons and dizzy bit :?:

It does seem pointless :D

Keira

ard1ey said:
Cheers gents, much appreciated. A dry gasket it will be then 8)

Its strange, the page I've got (EM-97) says to "apply a continuous bead of liquid gasket to mating surface of rocker cover gasket and cylinder head", and shows some dimensions for how it should go on the half-moons and dizzy bit :?:

It does seem pointless :D
think its to do with the way it bolts down as there as no direct pressure on the base of the half moons, something like that anyway

A

ard1ey

Come in mate, the more the merrier :D

Haven't done it yet (I forgot to order the plug seals, doh!) but it looks quite straightforward, I have a front mount but once you've got to the rocker cover its off with the HT leads, remove any other bits and brackets in the way, take off any pipes that will stop you getting the cover off and take out the bolts. Refitting is the reverse, in best Haynes manual tradition. The manual gives a specific undoing and tightening sequence for the fixings, shown below.

Tightening torque is nuts/bolts 1, 10, 11, 13 and 8 to 4Nm in that order, then 1 to 13 to 8 - 10Nm. Hope this helps you.

Dooie Pop Pop

cheers for the piccy :wink: it took toomy' s 3months to get my rocker gasket. which a new boy there found on the shelf...in stock. they kept sending a rubber grommet with 'rocker gasket' written on it :roll:

cheers, stu

A

ard1ey

Glyn Hopkins all the way, you have to explain a few times but the parts guy does eventually get what you want :D Sounds like they were getting the plug seals instead of the gasket :?

Which brings me neatly to - cambridgepulsar, you will need the gasket itself (13270-53J05) and 4 spark plug seals (13271-53J02) which you might as well do while the covers off. If you want to use sealant, get some of that too. You might save a fair bit of money at a normal parts place, Nissan want £30 for sealant goo. :shock:

Dooie Pop Pop

ard1ey said:
Glyn Hopkins all the way, you have to explain a few times but the parts guy does eventually get what you want :D Sounds like they were getting the plug seals instead of the gasket :?

Which brings me neatly to - cambridgepulsar, you will need the gasket itself (13270-53J05) and 4 spark plug seals (13271-53J02) which you might as well do while the covers off. If you want to use sealant, get some of that too. You might save a fair bit of money at a normal parts place, Nissan want £30 for sealant goo. :shock:
:oops: i should have posted part no' s sorry. and no mate i had the spark plug seals on order too whch i got ages before the gsket. grommet was smaller than that :? muppets :roll:

A

ard1ey

Parts people fookwits :D

It was probably that special rubber grommet that keeps the car running, without it you're doomed to a lifetime of blown engines, noisy pumps and Cadbury gearboxes. :lol: :lol:

At some stage I'll actually go and fit this thing rather than just talking about it :oops:

K

KRS

I replaced my rocker cover gasket recently without using sealant, reason I did it was the sealant seemed to have caused my leak in the first place. The bottom of the half moons had small pieces of sealant coming out as well as oil.

No leaks since i replaced gasket.

A

ard1ey

Mwahahahahaha!! Its done!

Apologies if anyone got the impression it was a five minute job :oops: I didn't notice most of the bloody breather system had to come off to get at the rocker cover bolts.

I also didn't realise there's one more seal under there that can be replaced while the covers off - its another o-ring type thing like the spark plug seals but is smaller, it goes around the central screw to seal it.

If it leaks now I'll be swearing like never before :D :D

Dooie Pop Pop

[quote="ard1ey]

I also didn't realise there's one more seal under there that can be replaced while the covers off - its another o-ring type thing like the spark plug seals but is smaller, it goes around the central screw to seal it.
[/quote]

moooooother funker :shock: pmsl so thats whats its for! thought as much :roll: