Restrictor in the actuator signal line?

Hi guys does anyone have pictures of this restrictor that's located in the stock boost solenoid to intake manifold? ( i can't find this pic in some old gtir website).
I need to be certain as i've ask someone's opinion and he mentions that i need to check on this item.

Am i suppose to run this thing?
Also what's the purpose of this restrictor thingy and why is it installed in the 1st place. Did a search and still can't understand it.

When my previous mechcanic installed the AVCR, he just used the hoses supplied with the AVCR (i assume i dont have the restrictor anymore).

So do i remove it or not and why?

This is being brought up coz my boost issues have yet to be sorted out.
Please don't get annoyed if fellow forumers who have posted in my previous boost problem threads. I've seriously checked what u've suggested. A different workshop now ask me to check the above item.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Shaun

KevD said:
In the stock setup it helps reduce spiking.
In the stock setup it gives you 0.7bar,without it you will get 0.5bar.If your running an electronic boostcontroller you dont need it,i have an AVCR and i dont use the stock restrictor.

godzilr

you shouldn't need it Vic...without it...you'll only run 7-8psi...with it...you'll get the stock 10.6psi...but since you're running the AVCR...not needed...

Coz this silly workshop wants to fit this thingy for me today.
Deep down i'm like what for coz i've never heard of something like this b4.
I dont' mind giving it a try for the heck of getting more boost.

Any idea what might happen in theory if u run the restrictor with the AVCR?

Hey Shaun what sort of boost u're getting with the AVCR off?
Mine is a horrible 0.5 bar at AVCR off and 0.7 bar at 80% duty...

Set my eyes on a new HKS actuator. Sigh so many ppl just want my pound of flesh here.

youngsyp

When you install the AVCR, the actuator will no longer be connected to the pipe with the restrictor in. It'll be connected to the AVCR solenoid.

For them to put the restrictor in, they'd physically have to cut it out of the OE pipe from the plenum to actuator, and put it in the new solenoid to actuator pipe. There's no reason why they should want or need to do this !
As to what effect it may have, with the AVCR installed, probably not much if any, as the AVCR has it's own pressure sensor so, will match the solenoid duty, to the set boost level.

With the AVCR off, you should have around 0.7 KG/cm of boost which, is around 0.68 bar or standard boost !

Sounds like your actuator spring maybe a little tired ?!

sumo

hi mate u still got the same prob?. mate had just the same prob with his car and it waz the heat sensor in the cat this shut down the boost if u hav cat bypass on it the sensor may be getting to hot thinking that the cat getting to hot and shuting down a bit the save it from damage the plug for the sensor is under the driver seat hope this helps:thumbsup:

Heat sensor? Cat?
Don't run a cat.

What' is this heat sensor? 1st time hearing it.
Cheers.

Tomorrow i intend to burn the car....
Anybody wanna do the last rites on it?
(Sorry to much other crap going on to worry on nitty gritty stuff on this car).
So bloody easy to find new external wastegates, but can't seem to find need actuators here.

Shaun

BabyGodzillaGTi-R said:
Coz this silly workshop wants to fit this thingy for me today.
Deep down i'm like what for coz i've never heard of something like this b4.
I dont' mind giving it a try for the heck of getting more boost.

Any idea what might happen in theory if u run the restrictor with the AVCR?

Hey Shaun what sort of boost u're getting with the AVCR off?
Mine is a horrible 0.5 bar at AVCR off and 0.7 bar at 80% duty...

Set my eyes on a new HKS actuator. Sigh so many ppl just want my pound of flesh here.
With the AVCR off which is very rare :lol: i get 0.75kg/cm2.I have also tried it with the restrictor in the pipe and it made no difference what so ever.)0.7bar at 80% duty :shock: there's something wrong there mate,my high setting is set at 1.2kg/cm2 and thats only 62% duty.Do you have it in self learn mode(***)?

sumo

right u hav in ur exhaust a catalytic converter on at the end of the cat there is a heat sensor in it but the sounds of it u hav a cat bypass on it now. the heat sensor will be in this pipe. unplug it as u do not need it :thumbsup: