Replacement Shocks

smiddy

My drivers side shock has a bad leak and has started knocking, they're Tein coilovers.
What are my options, I was thinking a used set of front shocks for now as when I get the money together I'm going to get a new set all round.
I was thinking when I get a new set should I just get standard with lowered springs as the coilovers are far to hard for the roads where I live plus the car never goes on track.
What do you guys think?

Mr C

I would put standard shocks back on if its not going on the track
Where on Earth do you get those at a sensible price? Need to replace mine as they're now a bit past it and don't really want to do the coilover thing, was heading for Koni's maybe, if I can get some.

Sorry to hijack.

smiddy

Have just been looking on carspares website and the front kyb shocks are £45 each plus vat.
I priced them with my local nissan dealer yesterday and a set is coming in at £136 per corner plus vat and a least one month wait.
Heres a link to KYB's website:
http://www.kyb-europe.com/catalogue.asp
Look for the GTIR under SunnyIII N14 Hatchback.
They list front shocks for it but they are the same part numbers as the 2.0i 16v and th 2.0D same with springs?

projectgtir

Depends what you call a decent price.
Try your local car spares/euro car parts think they quoted me around £70 each for kayaba (kyb) still cheaper than Nissan though.

This is the reason I purchased coilovers as both my rears where shot and the fronts were nearly 20 years old so 4 shocks plus lowering springs as the standard ride height is very high = £400+ so £650 for coilovers that you can adjust and stuff didn't seem that bad .

smiddy

Is Nengun the only place to get the KYB SR Specials or does anyone else deal these.

Also why are the part numbers the same for GTIR, 2.0 16v and Diesel Sunnys all the same.

Do they all use the same shocks?

smiddy

Where on Earth do you get those at a sensible price? Need to replace mine as they're now a bit past it and don't really want to do the coilover thing, was heading for Koni's maybe, if I can get some.

Sorry to hijack.
I recieved an email today from www.carsparesfactors.co.uk today and they can get Gtir specific shocks. Front pair £247.07 and Rear pair £175.26, price includes VAT and delivery.

smiddy

SPAX do a set of springs which lower 70/40mm not sure which drop is front or back, also thought this seemed a too low.

Maybe someone on here can help with what is considered an ideal drop for these cars?

vomitt

arent those springs the excluding gtir type? theyre for a sunny gti if i remember right. pulsars like to be at about 35mm lower, if you go any further its not so good!

smiddy

Is on spax's and potn's website listed for GTIR. I've since found out that its 70 front 40 rear. Surely thats too much.
What are the options for our cars.

vomitt

maybe they are, but the ones that come up on ebay with those mm drops are listed for sunny n14 excluding gtir

darkyGTI-R

SPAX do a set of springs which lower 70/40mm not sure which drop is front or back, also thought this seemed a too low.

Maybe someone on here can help with what is considered an ideal drop for these cars?
Mine is on standard shocks with lowering springs from vssirvine don't know what make car sits 40mm front and rear on 15"wheels so does make a difference, bit low sometimes where some urban ramps are or bloody pot holes that you don't see untill the last moment!