Removing 'Y' bracket

I know this has been asked many times but is there any knack to removing it with the engine in? I've removed all 4 bolts and released all the wires attached to it, i've even removed the horizontal brace thats bolted to it but with the top of the inlet plenum removed I can't for the life of me manouvre it out. Can anyone that has done so tell me how you got it out. I've resorted to trying to cut it in half with a hacksaw but this is proving to be more than a little time consuming! I want rid so I can get on with the more constructive things that need doing. :-D

Smo

When I took Andy's out I just twisted it upward (towards the drivers side) and pulled it out from underneath the inlet manifold towards the gearbox.

ZED_not_zee

newb question.. whats the "Y bracket" and why are you taking it out?... my trans is out right now and if it's some cool mod then LMK

Trondelond

it's not so much a cool mod as practical one. There's a bracket on the back of the engine shaped like a Y that secures the inlet, but it also makes it pretty impossible to reach other engine bits while the engine is in the car.
As there is at least one more bracket that secures the inlet, most people don't reinstall this once they've removed it.

darkyGTI-R

That's good advice tronde bit like the bastard bolt on the manifold once you take that off you don't need it back on lol