Removing PAS

P

pulsarboby

if you remove the p/s you will hardly be able to turn steering wheel, as i found recently.
p/s racks are a different gearing to a non p/s rack so you will need to get one from a breakers which does not use p/s.
you will also need to make a tensioner or adapt water pump pulley as that runs from p/s pump tensioner and belt

williams

Could you not turn the pulley round on water pump and use a larger belt with the alternator to tension it?
Not sure whetha to bother doing it or not. Will have a quick look in the breaker for a non pas sunny though.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I would imagine that with drive to the front wheels it's quite heavy without the hydraulics.
I'm sure someone else, maybe Kieron, has taken their power steering out and found an alternative rack to use with better gearing.

I think the recommended solution is to put a dummy pulley in place of the pump so that you can retain the belt and tension it.

P

pulsarboby

yes you could probably put two pulleys back to back which may line up with maybe a few washers or something as spacers.
you will deffo need to source a rack before doing anything though.
steering would be heavy whilst parking etc but should be fine once moving

noriek2003

PobodY said:
I think the recommended solution is to put a dummy pulley in place of the pump so that you can retain the belt and tension it.
yep, i probably have the only power steering delete kit on any gtir i'd imagine. Never drove on it :doh::roll: but i didn't find it that bad moving the car around with no powersteering.

its for sale if the op is interested, £100 delivered.