removed cat, now burning oil

L

leeboy

Ive recently taken my cat off and the car runs much better, as you would imagine. But ive noticed that she seems to be burning oil on boost, when its on boost it has an initial haze then goes to a rich plume. change gear and BANG, then the same again low haze of blue back to rich.

Oil presure was a bit low on the ACME gauge, so i cheked the oil, it was under the L. I havent checked the oil since i serviced it about 2 k ago, so put a littre in and gauge back to normal, very suprised.

checked a boost pipe, have oil in it.It was fine about 3 months ago caus i checked the plugs. Could this be the breather on the inlet due to the increase in vacume?
cheers

lee

Mr GTiR

Sounds like your oil seals in your turbo have let go. When you have taken the cat out and replaced it with a decat (?) the turbo will be getting rid of gasses a lot quicker.

I've seen this happen on a few cars when they have changed exhaust systems. Somthing to do with the reduction in back pressure in the exhaust system. The oil in the intercooler pipes suggest oil is getting in from the turbo. Once the oil seals go in the turbo it's just a matter of time before th turbo fails.

L

leeboy

Ill take it off on the weekend and let you know, wish i didnt buy a house, id have it off tonight otherwise :cry:

S

smcnairn

I had a similar problem when i fitted a mongoose and de-cat when i first took it out a huge bang came from the exhaust and then started smoking like u say burning oil. It worried me to start with but after about 45 mins of driving it all cleared. Dont know why it done this maybe just burning some oil coating from inside the new exhaust???

A

Anonymous

Hi there,
Its really hard to say if your burning oil cause of worn rings or cause of oil seal on the turbo is blown, me personally id hope its the turbo, only way really is to feel if there is any excessive play in the shaft and/or taking the turbo of and looking at the exhaust side for irregularities...you can do a compression test to see if your engine is ok...

L

leeboy

The oil is nothing special just a fully synthetic grade from halfords. On the weekend i removed the pipe from the air filter to the turbo, and just as i thought the oil was coming from the breather pipe. woohoo :) , so the turbo is fine. Removed the intercooler (top mount), there was oil in the inlet end from the turbo but hardly anything on the manifold side.

So i removed the breather box on the front of the engine, a little blocked, so im going to clean it today in work. But the breather that also goes into the inlet manifold had loads of oil in it, so im going to block this one up, then make an oil catch tank for the other breather to breathe into. It might be the piston rings, but it still goes like a rabbit in season, blew a tvr yesterday with 3 in my car, so she cant be to bad, will keep you posted with the results.

cheers for all the replys

lee

B

Brett G

I would've said turbo for sure but hey! :roll: If it had been used to all that back pressure then suddenly there is none.... well hardly, then I would've thought it was the seals. Glad its not though :D
As for the oil you're using :roll: I blew an engine using a fairly good fully synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and now I won't use anything less than whats recomended by the owners on here :wink:
Be really careful with the oil and keep on top of things as it can be a really expensive mistake to not service often or use the wrong oil :oops:

Brett

Mr GTiR

Mobile 1 is a very good oil but for the R it's too thin :cry:

Brett, i know you have learned the hard way :( How's the new engine?

Mr GTiR

the 15w50 is the motorsport range :p

Lee , glad it was only a block breather 8) Yeah get rid of the vac pipe that's on your inlet pipe (filter to tubby) and get it to a catch tank.

L

leeboy

Shes still smoking, nice bright day yesterday to give her a good burn but its doing the same thing, when she comes on boost for the first time, just a haze of blue, when its on boost for a while it goes, i dont under stand. From my understanding when a turbo is on the way out it smokes on idle and on boost, if the rings were gone i would see blue smoke on start up when everything is cold correct??.

Are there any more breathers underneath the inlet manifold somewhere? And if it is the turbo wheres the best place to get it rebuilt??

cheers

lee

B

Brett G

I would guess at a turbo, you could always look in the for sale section for a second hand one (off someone who has upgraded or something) Prob expect to pay between £100 and £200. Its not a massive job and you'll need a new set of gaskets.
I brought mine off VPulsar (Rob) and its been fine ever since.... :wink:
Let us know if you get it sorted

Brett