Remove the aircon *please help*

S

Stoned

I asked this before but got no answer.

How do you remove the aircon from the R?

I want to save those 30kg :)

Cheers

J

jasegould

Find the aircon pump...then remove everything attached to that (not the engine - u might need that) you will have to fit a different belt, do a search and youll find out which one. If you follow the pipes that come from the pump you'll need to remove the pump - aircon radiator at front of car - bullet shaped reciever/drier - then behind the dash theres the evaporator (like a small radiator). - and remove all the metal pipes aswell. When you remove the parts from under the dash make sure not to leave any holes where water can get in and where air can escape from the ducts...........oh and if theres ags in the system dont let it out while wearing a pair of thick gloves as its illegal :wink:

There may be other small parts that you can renmove but this should be the bulk of it - I havent actually done it so am not 100% sure .Hope this helps
Jay

Dooie Pop Pop

belt?? no ones mentioned a belt before?(gtirspares, gary u readin this?)
have done search and i cant find anything about it other than...drain it, take it all off...ta dah :) :lol:

J

jasegould

If u remove the aircon pump, you will need a shorter belt. Get em from Nissan of a a SR20 non aircon car

J

jiw

Hi jase, apparently that belt doesnt fit, pulley's are different or sumet.

The correct belt is about £5 from halfords and has the number 845e

these are shelf items :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
jiw said:
Hi jase, apparently that belt doesnt fit, pulley's are different or sumet.

The correct belt is about £5 from halfords and has the number 845e
But someone recently said the 845e wouldn't adjust enough and an 825e (I think) was better. It may be down to that difference(pulleys :?: ) again?!? :?

J

jiw

Maybe down to a few different pulley sizes then, guess i got lucky as the 845e fitted, just a case of trial and error then, they should just change the belt anyway if you pick the wrong one up :D

Keira

I have an 845e on my car so thats nonsense.

Also, remove the fooking great bracket of pig iron that the pump bolts to cos thats the heaviest bit, f*ck undoing everything just chop off what you can and only undo what you have to, :lol: that way when someone is willing to buy your old aircon stuff off you you've already killed it and it aint worth a penny :lol:

A

Anonymous

I think the gas in the airccon system and pump is called RG14 and yes it is illegal for refil! I enquired with a local place which does aircon and for the change to the new gas and new pump is all in for just under 300 notes including parts and labour! Im persoannly gonna bin it on mine and with a frind hope to be succesful!

Stoned/Chris- chap will be doing this in a few weks time once we all get sorted!

Pete Watson

I have just removed the AC from my car, to be honest it is quite straight forward. Before you start make sure you have degased the system!

1) Remove feed and return pipes.
2) Remove Dryer on N/S of car.
3) Remove Pump, sits below Alternator, not a lot of room here so you may struggle a little.
4) Remove AC Condenser, i already had the Radiator out so it was much easier, but you will need to remove either rad or bumper to get it out as space is very tight again.
5) Remove the AC Pump metal plate which bolts to block, this is the heaviest part of the system, cast iron or steel.
6) Remove interior evaporator sits behind Glove Box, remove glove box, unbolt steel cross bar 4 bolts, 5/6 bolts hold the main evaporator in place, once removed pull away from heater system, split evaporator plastic casing, remove evap, replace casing back into heater track and build dash bach up.
7) Replace the Alt Belt, you will need the non AC version from Nissan, it will only be 4 rib instead of the 6 rib you will remove, this is correct and does fit, all you do is put it in the middle of the pulley, AC Belt is only 6 Rib to cope with the extra load when the AC pumps cuts in.
8) Rebuild front of car and your finished.
9) All that will be left from the AC system will be the heater controls in the dash, for the sake of 1 button it is not worth taking this area apart, but that's up to you.
10) You will be left with 2x rather large holes in the bulk head, 2x grommets required 39mm & 50mm will finish off the job.

Hope this helps!!

Cheers Pete

A

AZ STE

Dont get a 830mm belt they dont fit as I have found wasted £11 at nissan correct size is 845mm :wink:

N

Norfy

845e didn`t fit mine, was too slack. had to space the alternator bracket with washers for the time being until i can get the right belt

J

Jamz

The 845e belt is fine. There isn't a huge amount of adjustment left once it's all nice and tight but you don't need it.

JU5TY

Pete Watson said:
6) Remove interior evaporator sits behind Glove Box, remove glove box, unbolt steel cross bar 4 bolts, 5/6 bolts hold the main evaporator in place, once removed pull away from heater system, split evaporator plastic casing, remove evap, replace casing back into heater track and build dash bach up.
Is this box used at all for the standard heater system, I assume it is? So is it a good idea to block the two small holes from inside the box that lead to the engine bay from the old evaporator?

Pete Watson

You could block them off if you wish, tbh it is not going to make much difference, but do fit grommets in the bulk head holes as this will make a difference!

Cheers Pete