reliability and daliy driver

warpspeed

Hope so! I do have a sensible deadline of spring 2013 and will be doing my damndest to have it ready before that.

AnthP

Just wondering how many people use there R as a daily driver , and to be fair all I seem to see is them breaking , how many people haven't had problems as such or anything like that let's say out of ten or such, I've had trouble with mine but just wondering what's the chances of another major problem. I know I'm going to get a few its almost 20years old and I know maintance is a big part of it but I want to use my car as a daily drive aswell as the odd track use and pod
Cheers chris.
Mine are daily drivers but as I've got a couple of other cars, daily driver means two or three times a week. I agree with Dan about not buying a 'wrong un' in the first place. Can anyone really expect to pay less than 2k for a 20 year old high performance car and it be reliable ? I paid top dollar for mine but both have been 100% reliable which is good cos I'm useless. Personally, I wouldnt buy a GTIR for less than £3k which I think is the entry point for a half decent rust free car - it costs enough to keep them taxed, MOT'd, insured, serviced + juice so to buy a cheaper car thinking it will be reliable is optimistic / unrealistic. I'm sure there are owners who've paid £1500 for cars which have been reliable but I'm sure there are more who've found these to be money pits. I wish more people would use them as daily drivers - during my 20 year 'love affair' with these cars, I have never seen another one on the road other than the ones I've bought............

iomegalinux

i use mine for more than 3 years now as a daily, it's now a mildly tune "R" i had to change clutch, brake, 1 wheel bearing. master clutch rebuild, and a new cv boot during those 3 years, all others mecanic i did on it was performance upgrade
for a high performance 20 years old car i was expecting more than this. knowing i throw it sideways all winter long, it start at -40 deg celcius and didn't over heat at 30 deg celcius after a couple 1/4 miles
i had finish to pay it, so even if i have to put a few hundred in repair/tune-up each year i can live with this.

Last edited:

samgtr

i also used mine for about a year daily driving at work doing viewings and shopping every day and had no problems except having to adjust the clutch once.

It did get annoying as i had un comfy seats that gave me a back ache. other tehn that it is fine it starts on the button in the summer and the freezing snow.

Also trips to the pod

Thats why i have got rid of the gt3071r and have gone back to the standard turbo as its more fun to drive locally and daily.

i was going to sell it but have decided to keep it as its so much more fun to drive. im back as a 1 bar mong

Last edited: