Rebuild List

Trondelond

I've ordered up a few bits for my rebuild, but I'm sure I've forgotten something. That's where you come in!

So far this is on the way or already received :

OEM Nissan Complete Timing Chain Kit SR20DET
Nissan Pulsar GTi-R/GTiR SR20DET Front Timing Cover Oil Pump Assembly
OEM Nissan RNN14 SR20DET AWD Water Pump GTi-R (GTiR)
OEM Oil Filter S14/S15 SR20DET
OEM Nissan 12 pt. Flywheel Bolts SR20DET
OEM Nissan Liquid Gasket Maker 150g
JE Pistons 245015 Forged 2618 T6 Aluminum Pistons SR20DET 86.5mm
JE Piston Rings Set
ARP 200-6209 Replacement Steel Heavy Duty 12 pt Engine Rod Bolts Set
ARP 202-4303 GTi-R GTiR SR20DET Engine Head Studs Kit (replaces Bolts)
OEM Complete Engine Gasket Kit (Set) SR20DET GTi-R AWD
Magnetic Drain Bolt Plug 12mm x 1.25
ACL Rod Bearings
ACL Main Bearings
ACL Thrust Bearings

I've got the block in for boring as soon as I receive the pistons, the crank/flywheel are being balanced, and I'm getting the rods/pistons weight matched.

So.. anything else?

takumigtir

just out of interest are you using the 19mm or 17mm acl bearing as im going to be doing very similar to you rebuild shortly or does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the 19mm bearings (apologies if this has been bought up before )

P

pulsarboby

think youve left head gasket off list trond!

also 'just my opinion' but i would have used standard head bolts, those arp head studs seem nothing but trouble to me. rod bolts a must though!
may also pay to get the block decked aswell, whilst they have it.

Trondelond

think youve left head gasket off list trond!
Actually, no I havent! I'm going to run the OE one, since no one (except the machining guy) could tell me how much power they can take. He had seen a couple of 400+ bhp cars running the OE gasket. So, I thought I'd take one for the team and do some research. :)

also 'just my opinion' but i would have used standard head bolts, those arp head studs seem nothing but trouble to me. rod bolts a must though!
may also pay to get the block decked aswell, whilst they have it.
What kind of trouble are the bolts?
It wouldn't surprise me if the OE ones are strong enough, but I've already got the head gasket as an unknown, so I figured I'd try to get the rest somewhat trustworthy. :)

By decked - do you mean flattened on top?

P

pulsarboby

oe headbolts are more than sufficient for any power your gonna chuck at it, the stud kits (from what ive seen) are nothing but trouble.
firstly there doesnt seem to be a correct torque setting for them, secondly ive seen a few heads leaking after these have been fitted 'whether thats to do with incorrect torque setting i just dont know'
thirdly, they are a right pain in the ass if you want to remove your head again for any reason.

the s14 head studs are thinner than gtir ones and i think youll find that the stock bolts are more than upto the job in hand on gtir.

your correct! by decking i mean skimming or at least get block face checked for flatness.

and lastly, i would rather use an oe headgasket over a cheap cometic one! no idea what they will take though but like you i wouldnt have thought 400hp was out of the question as long as the two mating surfaces are both flat ie head & block

Trondelond

oe headbolts are more than sufficient for any power your gonna chuck at it, the stud kits (from what ive seen) are nothing but trouble.
firstly there doesnt seem to be a correct torque setting for them, secondly ive seen a few heads leaking after these have been fitted 'whether thats to do with incorrect torque setting i just dont know'
thirdly, they are a right pain in the ass if you want to remove your head again for any reason.

the s14 head studs are thinner than gtir ones and i think youll find that the stock bolts are more than upto the job in hand on gtir.
Now you tell me! Oh, well. I've ordered the ARP's now, so I may as well suffer with them! ;) I have no immediate plans of removing the head as of yet, perhaps next winter for porting, but for now I'll be happy just to get the little girl on the roads again! :)

your correct! by decking i mean skimming or at least get block face checked for flatness.

and lastly, i would rather use an oe headgasket over a cheap cometic one! no idea what they will take though but like you i wouldnt have thought 400hp was out of the question as long as the two mating surfaces are both flat ie head & block
I did discuss this with the.. er.. machiner, but he was confident that I only had to have it skimmed if I was going for a metal headgasket, as these were prone to leaking if the surfaces weren't skimmed. The OE headgasked didn't suffer as much from this problem. I think I'll have them check the surfaces at least before I yank the block out of their hands.

P

pulsarboby

hes correct in what hes told you, with oe gasket you have more leaway as it will compress more, actually if you want specifics it will compress from 1.4mm to 1.2mm when torqued down correctly which gives you around 0.2mm leaway!

Trondelond

Thats' what I was thinking..

I suppose that will give me a different compression ratio with these pistons - will it go up or down? I never got that info to stick. :D

P

pulsarboby

depends on pistons, think the standard pistons are 8.5:1 ratio so if you have gone for the same but 86.5mm then you will raise the comp ratio but if you had gone for around 9:1 comp pistons then effectively it would have remained around the same as it was before. which is not a bad thing if your intending on running high boost levels

Trondelond

I've ordered the 8.5:1 pistons. I'll have to be careful when running it in the I suppose. If only I had a known good knock sensor.. :D

On the other hand, the compression should make it a little more responsive off boost, I suppose that's a good thing when running the 3071.

P

pulsarboby

I've ordered the 8.5:1 pistons. I'll have to be careful when running it in the I suppose. If only I had a known good knock sensor.. :D

On the other hand, the compression should make it a little more responsive off boost, I suppose that's a good thing when running the 3071.

you cheeky nordic type person:boink::lol:
im gonna send you the one off the car il be breaking next week as i know 100% that its definately good, i wanna know what happened to the other booger:roll:

vizi0n

Looks alot like my rebuild list, only difference I can see is pistons brand/size (I'm using 87mm CP) and also using ARP rod bolts. The exhaust valve guides were worn so I got myself a set of JWT guides. They should arrive tomorrow. I'm using a Tomei 1.2mm headgasket.

The engine is at the machine shop right now to get cleaned, 3 angles valves/seats job, head pressure tested, new exhaust guides, head skimming, boring+honing, flywheel re-surfacing.

This friday the rebuild process begins. :D

I have je 87mm 8.5:1
buy a cometic headgasket if you don't want buy a tomei or hks hg ;)
buy a metal gasket

ps. how much cost all work at head( 3 angles valves/seats job, head pressure tested,ecc)?

Trondelond

you cheeky nordic type person:boink::lol:
im gonna send you the one off the car il be breaking next week as i know 100% that its definately good, i wanna know what happened to the other booger:roll:
Sorry couldn't help myself there! :D good show old chap, I should get around to figuring out what temp sensor I've ruined as well I guess. I'll try to figure that out next time I'm fiddling in the garage.

Trondelond

Looks alot like my rebuild list, only difference I can see is pistons brand/size (I'm using 87mm CP) and also using ARP rod bolts

This friday the rebuild process begins. :D
I've also got ARP rod bolts. Wouldn't dare anything else after reading on this forum!

And good luck on the rebuild, fingers crossed! :D

Tenlofoten, I wouldn't dare risk my build with a Cometic gasket to be honest. So I'm going OEM first, if that fails, I'm whipping out the HKS/Tomei stuff! :)

P

pulsarboby

Sorry couldn't help myself there! :D good show old chap, I should get around to figuring out what temp sensor I've ruined as well I guess. I'll try to figure that out next time I'm fiddling in the garage.

hurry up and figure it out then lol and il put one in envelope with knock sensor:lol:

P

pulsarboby

ooooooh! that hurt lol, your far too quick for me:lol:
just blame the british royal cockup delivery service. christ knows how many bits them boogers have lost, i reckon theres a postman somewhere thats building his own bl00dy gtir bit by bit at my expense:shock:

takumigtir

BOB another quick question or two does or has anyone run flat top pistons in there cars just out of interest and any idea what compression ratio would you get with standard bore size ,i know standard compression ratio is 8.3:1 which is slightly lower then s14 etc due to increased combustion chamber volume of 48cc rather then 45cc .also what thickness is a standard head gasket.what forged pistons would you recommend?????