Real quick MOT question for today

Garef

My abs light is on, will this fail me? I do have abs on the car, but i upgraded to hi-spec brakes and the abs was constantly kicking in so I took out the fuse and now the light on the dash is on, will this be a fail, will I need to take the bulb out, any help wouldbe magic, cheers.

John

Well my ABS light has been on in both my Pulsar and my old Vectra, and they have went through 3 MOT's with only advisorys on the issue.

Garef

MarkTurbo said:
Have you thought about putting the fuse back in, or is that too difficult :lol:
the problem was the ABS was kicking in at very light braking, and not heavy braking, opposite of what it should be doing so I don't want to put it back in.

No worries though, because as of five minutes ago.

IT PASSED.

GTi-R23

Yeah you don't have to have abs for the car to pass an mot, if the light is on it should probably fail as it indicates a fault with the braking system.
What if you remove the abs system from a car altogether and take it for an mot Rob? Isn't that the same thing as taking the bulb out?

gtirjoey

Odin said:
No mate, If you remove the ABS then you have to remove every part of it otherwise they will still fail the car, I asked the local M O T tester for advice on the subject.

I was told that removing the bulb just isn't legal, The ABS light must come on and then go out if it doesn't the car should fail the M O T.

When I removed mine I took the lot out including all the wheel sensors/Accumulator/ECU and the under bonnet wiring and the tester checked it all to make sure I'd done the job properly, You also have to alter the break lines ti suit.

Rob
100% correct,
i do mots all day long! and these days the computer even prints out the exact sequence of the bulb so you know the abs is working prpoerly, on th mot checklist! the reason you may be getting away with it by just taking the bulb out is that the mot computer(vosas database) have no proper information on jap imports so the checklist comes out blank whearas you usually have brakes weights and abs sequence for the particualar model it is jus blank.

gtirjoey

well yes and no! the pulsar should still fail as any car with abs the system has to work, although all im sayin is if the bulbs not on and its not stated on checklist they just might not notice its not working you see!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I guess if you've got an early dash you're screwed because it clearly says 'Anti Lock'. If you had one with gauges that are blacked-out they may not notice.

Can I assume that my ABS does work if the light comes on when I start the car, but never when I'm driving?